Forum home Plants

Honeysuckle ID

LG_LG_ Posts: 4,107

It's not like my other honeysuckles, which have a pinkish tinge to the stems. It's also got a waxier, bigger leaf than they have. Is it a honeysuckle? Any idea what kind? What do I need to know about it?

Last edited: 14 June 2016 17:17:42

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 36,183

It looks a little like Trachelospermum jasminoides but I'm not too sure. Have a look at that and see what you think.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,107

Gosh, I would love it to be that! I don't think it is though - I had that in my old garden and I remember the leaves being both darker and finer. These are quite chunky. It has formed some buds just in the last few days, I guess whatever appears from them will be the decider.

- Cicero
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,157

Lonicera henryi?

In the sticks near Peterborough

Could be - just did an image search and some of the photos of the leaves are very close. It is evergreen.

- Cicero

Some colour appearing in the buds now - very exciting! And I think you're right.

- Cicero
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 1,706

I have planted 3 Henryi in last couple of weeks and it looks the same as mine, same colour in the buds and same leaf shape.

Only yours looks considerably more healthy than mine image

Sheps...image

This one is indestructable. You would not believe the neglect and ill treatment I have meted out over the years. I finally moved it to this location last year and it's so glad to have a bit of soil and water (yes, it was that bad) that it's thriving. I've no idea if this is typical, but maybe you're being too kind to it?

- Cicero
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 1,706

Maybe I am being too kind to it, LG...how often are you watering, now it's in the new location?

The leaves on yours look great, on mine not so much image

Sheps...

I am watering occasionally, as it's in something of a rain shadow and rather close to two large conifers which dry out the soil.

Shall I tell you a bit about its shameful history so you can see what it's put up with? When we moved in, 10 years ago, there was a lot of growth along the fence next to the patio. Mainly a passion flower and a jasmine. We had a baby and a toddler at the time and found the garden overwhelming so neglected it. Fast forward a few years. The passion flower was still growing, all from this 12" square plastic planter that was hidden underneath the overgrowth. We'd never watered it! The bottom was all broken and there were roots spread across the patio which I suppose got some water when it rained. I occasionally tipped some on too...

When we got the fences sorted in Jan 2015 the climbers had to be removed and the planter contents were cut back to about 10". Still in its bottomless planter with its roots exposed on concrete, but I didn't get round to disposing of it. After a few months, the bare wood started shooting! I thought this was a miracle and vowed to nurture it from then on. I decided where I would like to have a passion flower and once the hard landscaping was done in August I cut the pot off the plant and put it in the ground. 

As the leaves developed I thought "That's not a passion flower" and posted on here about it. Turned out to be this honeysuckle.  I have no recollection of any honeysuckle in its previous location, but there you go.

I'm not advocating being THAT cruel, but it's food for thought, I guess!

Last edited: 20 June 2016 20:20:19

- Cicero
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Oh Sheps and LG I'm so glad you've foud each other. By the time I saw yours Sheps I'd forgotten it was LG that needed the ID.

Anyway...carry on..... image