Forum home Plants

palm problems

Ilona.SIlona.S Posts: 162

imageHI I have a palm om the floor in my conservatory that is looking worse by the day its lower leaves are a yellowy brown I have the same palm that i have had on the patio outside and that one has been happy for several years. I think its a kentia palm although the fonds look fore spikey.Is this kind of palm just not suited to the indoors ? thanks for your help.

Ilona

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Hi

i have a Canary date palm which I keep outside in sunny conditions in summer (not sure where summer is at the moment) and overwinter by putting pot underneath a huge Pieris - I generally chop brown fronds off - if you have one outside that is doing well - move it outdoors- does the pot you have it in have drainage holes? I ask as palms don't like to sit in water - good luck image

• Ilona.SIlona.S Posts: 162

Thanks Tray 14 no the pot doesn't have drainage holes,will change thankyou

Ilona
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i have one outside all year round, i have it planted in very sandy soil in a pot and never water it & it's growing well, don't water yours too much, like until the soil/cpmposy is almost dry, they do need drainage too which you are going to sort out :)

• Ilona.SIlona.S Posts: 162

Thanks for your advice sanj67 

Ilona
  • janijan1janijan1 Posts: 1
    Ilona.S said:

imageHI I have a palm om the floor in my conservatory that is looking worse by the day its lower leaves are a yellowy brown I have the same palm that i have had on the patio outside and that one has been happy for several years. I think its a kentia palm although the fonds look fore spikey.Is this kind of palm just not suited to the indoors ? thanks for your help.

sanjy67 said:

i have one outside all year round, i have it planted in very sandy soil in a pot and never water it & it's growing well, don't water yours too much, like until the soil/cpmposy is almost dry, they do need drainage too which you are going to sort out :)

These are Hardy down to - 6. They do well planted in equal mix, sharp sand, Compost and grit. Feed liquid seaweed every 2 weeks from sprint to autumn. If left outside you can wrap them with garden fleece.