Forum home The potting shed

Gardening Crafters

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Oh my goodness - how talented are you lot!  I do sewing quite badly, knitting abysmally and you should see my pathetic attempts at icing cakes :(

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i forgot i make cakes too.

henry hoover has collapsed under his own weight, the mcdonalds fries are made of biscuit with a little yellow added ,

the story with the roy orbison stuck in the mud with my grandson watching is, (he loves roy orbison, he's three) hahaha we used to ask him where roy was? and he would say 'he's stuck in the mud grandma!' how did that happen freddy? " i pushed him in there!" hence why roy is up to his waist in mud with his guitar with freddy watching, i learnt to make the figures by watching youtube videos, i made everything on the cakes

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,123

A few more for you. I can't sit and watch TV in the evenings without doing something.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,589

Fabulous projects everyone, I'm a keen cross stitcher, used to knit, and am just starting to take an interest in quilting.

Here are a few of my cross stitch projects

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Wow, I've just found this thread, what a fabulous lot of creations, unbelievable how creative you all are! (clapping smiley) Am amazed at those of you doing those intricate things while watching TV, how do you keep an eye on both?!!!image

I'm not very creative but have done some window painting, would take a photo but sadly most of them have faded from the sun, will have to replace them sometime.

Pat E, you once mentioned the Kew Gardens Colouring Book and I have ordered it from Amazon for something to pass the time next winter. I was wondering what you use to colour them with. Do you use water colour paints, colour pencils or what?

• Pat EPat E Posts: 9,103

Swiss Sue, hello. Re. The Kew Gardens colouring books (I've got the exotic plants one and 

S. E. NSW

Hit the wrong button. I've got the Kew gardens Flowering Plants one as well). I have to admit that I haven't started colouring them yet because I've got plenty of the various cheap books that are everywhere in shops and with them, I tend to use gel pens because the colours are more vibrant than pencils, but some books are double sided and some are not. The double sided  pages ones are a problem with the pens because it shows through. It may be worth photocopying some of them.

My instinct for the Kew pages is to try water colour and/or pencil. My problem again will be that if I use a very wet brush, it'll go through. If I use a dry-brush technique, it should be ok. I suspect that I'll use a combination of watercolour and pencil. They are complex pictures. Will be interesting, but I've been overwhelmed with a difficult knitting pattern for a few weeks, so I want to be calm, cool and collected when I start.  I might try photocopying  a page onto watercolour paper. Still thinking about it.image

S. E. NSW
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,865

If you photocopy you'll still have the original if it all goes wrong - too wet, too dry, too vibrant....- and you can try it in different forms.

There are some fabulous things being shown here.  Aren't we a creative bunch?  I can't draw or paint for toffee so hats off to those who can.  All those fine embroideries have reminded me I have the highlighter stitching to do on a Chinese dragon and a phoenix.   I'll have to buy some stronger reading glasses!

Thanks for the kind remarks about my appliqué Pat but I really am a beginner at this sort of thing and the other ladies in the group all do it so much better than I can - yet! - and are much more artistic about it.   Some are working on projects for display and competition at the Belgian quilt festival in October which is not something I shall aspire to for a few years yet.  They also do it all by hand which is something for which I have neither the time nor patience.   I've just undone on block I started to stitch by hand so I can do it properly - and accurately - by machine. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Running out of steam, in bed and nearly 1am, so will look again in the morning. They al look wonderful.

S. E. NSW