Forum home The potting shed

Gardening Crafters

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 323
    Do I have the right thread?
    Die cut wooden shapes attached to paint stir sticks, and voila! Plant labels. I'm quite pleased with the way they turned out.

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 323
    Other gardening crafts are painting these three, and folding origami starter pots. I find the origami pots are the right size and have enough durability to withstand the following 2 1/2 months until planting out.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,371
    Some lovely projects on here, as usual.  I've been knitting over the winter and done a few jumpers for grandsons.

Doing two of each has taken a toll on my hands so I've had to stop now for a while until they improve.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,509
    Especially love that dinosaur one @Yviestevie.  Clever you.

Your labels look good too @Housefinch.  

Obxx has a new hobby.   Went on a day's picture framing course in Nantes, expecting to choose the coloured boards and just mount and frame but oh no, first select design and colours, then cut several layers of different thicknesses then make cut outs then paste on chosen finishes and colours.  Simples!  Took me all day but pleased.

Now to mount lots of other prints and some embroideries.  Loads of fun to come.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I could do with going on one of those courses Obelisk, I spend a fotune on getting my cross stitch projects framed.  That's lovely.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,509
    That's why I went @Yviestevie.   3 smallish ones and 2 big ones to frame plus all sorts of prints and photos.  The last time I had an embroidery framed it cost a small fortune.  This was 65€ for the day and included all the layers of card plus 3 sheets of the decorative paper, glue, glass and instruction + use of tools.   The frame was extra and, of course, I came away with sheets of card and more papers and a special rule for precise measuring.   I shall be going back for more as there are so many possibilities with this method.

and many more.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 8,822
    Really impressive Obelixx. I admire your energy. 😁

lovely knitting Yvie. I imagine the parents are pleased as well.
    S. E. NSW
    They are Pat.  I've really enjoyed doing them but it has caused me a lot of problems with my hands.  It's my own fault, when I start something I just go mad at it instead of pacing myself.  It's the same with the garden.
  • I used to do loads of different crafts, have cut back now due to arthritis in my hands and eyesight beginning to deteriorate. Still keeping my hand in with the occasional knitting, patchwork and watercolouring. Have discovered a local group which takes used, unwanted craft materials and distributes them to local craft groups etc. Must have a turn out, good for my unwanted Chinese painting, pergamano, encaustic wax etc. etc to go to good use.

My patchwork is a memory quilt for my grown up daughter. I have used fabric from a maternity dress I wore when pregnant with her, some of her school uniform dress fabrics, party dresses, her bridesmaids dress fabric etc. She is anxious I get it finished now as I am in my dotage and she would not be able to finish it herself. 
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 760
    @Yviestevie,,love the little jumpers and I know  doing those patterns isn’t easy. Well,done! Give your hands a rest now, two of each is some going.