Forum home The potting shed

Gardening Crafters

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Wow! I'm impressed. What a wealth of talent. TH that birdfeeder is stunning.

Sanjy I collected pallets to make my compost bins but I couldn't get the piggin things apart! I gave up in the end and bought wood. Can't wait to see your greenhouse!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,921

the bottle is from her 30th birthday, she's also done a bird box with a green rood as well, but I don't have a pic to hand

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

TH your wtb is very talented, love her bird feeder especially :)

TH does she sell them? She should. What a lovely way to remember special occasions too. It'll be champagne bottles next I suppose. image

• Pat EPat E Posts: 9,115

I'm lost for words. You're all so inventive. Well done everyone.

S. E. NSW
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007
    plant pauper says:

Sanjy I collected pallets to make my compost bins but I couldn't get the piggin things apart! I gave up in the end and bought wood. Can't wait to see your greenhouse!

See original post
    you need a crowbar (a long one for leverage ) the fork end you shove in hard where the nail is located between the two pieces of wood, kick(i have metal toecaps donated by my husband or shove in until the nail is right in the 'fork' bit and then lever, this ensures mostly that you don't split the wood. and then you just need a hammer to remove the nails. if you have room you shouldn't even have to split them apart should you, you just need two sides & a back, the lid could be another pallet covered in a tarp or roof felt if you need a cover, think monty just has sides & a back, wish i had room for a large compost and leaf mould bins.

Last edited: 14 June 2016 09:59:03

I did all that. I suspect they were an inferior brand of pallet image because the wood in yours looks so much more uniform. Mine were naff. I tried the "pallet per side thing too with wire hinges and all that. A real heath robinson job as my dad would have said but the stuff all fell out and it's in view from the kitchen window. image 

I treated myself to a big pile of planks and built three giant bins which are very neat and tidy and full! Now what to do with those pallets......image

• FlyfiferFlyfifer Posts: 164

PP. Stack them in a corner and let the weeds grow through them then post aphoto on gallery of shame.

Are you telling me there's not a single area of naughtiness in your garden? image 

• FlyfiferFlyfifer Posts: 164

imageThere are lots of areas of shame in my garden but I daren't show them