Forum home The potting shed

Gardening Crafters

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,180
    I used to keep earrings in them! My collection has grown, they are now in a multi section lidded box from Screwfix or Wickes. No expense spared!
  • @Ergates.  Love it! Who needs a fancy jewellery box from Samuels?😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • B3B3 Posts: 20,024
    But what about the ballerina?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,242
    edited December 2021
    The tin foil mince pie tins can be shaped into all sorts... Or may be the wire from fizz corks? Twisted into elegant shapes... :D

• B3B3 Posts: 20,024
    That'd do fine I'd say😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,180
    Love the ballerina, Fire! I shall open a bottle of fizz right away....!

I would love to see a section at the tip / recycling centre, for boxes or containers that are not needed but too good to throw away. I seem to have accumulated quite a collection of decorative tins and ‘useful’ boxes that I couldn’t bring myself to dump but hardly ever find a use for. I need to clear some storage space.

I once managed to rehome an empty hat box, very pretty with a ribbon and a big bow on the lid. My sister had sent me a gift set of a tea set and cake stand, all beautifully packed in the box, but I had no reason to keep it, or anywhere to store it.
     I had put the empty box in the car ready to go to the tip, and it was in there when I had been to the park and ride car park. Another woman was unlocking her car next to mine, her young daughter in tow. On an impulse, I asked the woman if her daughter might have a use for the box as I was getting rid of it. Little girls eyes just lit up, and her mum said that they had just redecorated her bedroom, and she could use it to put treasures in. We all went away happy. I’m always pleased when something nice like that happens, and also that I didn’t get branded as a weirdo!

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,242
    I can't go to the tip; I get too upset and start having rows with the managers. I crawl into the skips and start pulling perfectly fine stuff out - leaving with more stuff than I arrived with. It just heart breaking to see the stuff people toss here. They say there is a shop where the good stuff goes, but I see gorgeous things being crushed and mangled.

We have active groups like Olio, which are helping, but people are often too lazy to use it. Yes, I realise, I am now a full blown Dumpster Diver. :s
  • My daughter was taking bags of stuff to her local recycling centre (that sounds posh) and found a lovely dark oak,latticed window,TV stand,she knew I was looking for one,so she got it for £4, it goes very well with the Stag furniture. Why it got dumped I cant imagine as its in beautiful condition.  Hooray for recycling!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.