Forum home The potting shed

Anyone else use freecycle/trash nothing?

just wondering if anyone else uses trash nothing or freecycle, thought it would be nice to share what useful items we have have been given for nothing. Personally i love it and have had many things given to me and so useful for getting rid of stuff i no longer need too, and it's great that it doesn't end up in land fill. as they say " one mans trash is another mans treasure"

this week i have been given:

one large plastic potting tray

one draper spade

a giant canvas garden bag

20 terracotta plant pot feet

2 x 15 pane glass doors for my greenhouse project

A few years ago i furnished my sons new flat entirely on things donated on freecycle, in total to furnish the whole flat & all the other things you need to make house a home, inc. washing machine, fridge,freezer, sofa, rugs & anything else you can think of etc it cost me £32 ! for odds & sods. When he came back to the nest 12 months later i donated it all back on there.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185

IT IS A VERY GOOD SYSTEM.

I ONLY GIVE. I THINK IF I EVEN CONTEMPLATED TAKING THE HOUSE WOULD BE FULL IN FIVE MINUTES.

ONE THING THAT I LEARNED IS THAT SOME PEOPLE USE THIS SYSTEM TO MAKE MONEY. THERE ARE NO RULES THAT SAY THAT THE PERSON RECEIVING THE GOODS MUST KEEP THEM AND NOT SELL THEM ON. I SOON RECOGNISED THE SAME NAMES CROPPING UP DAY AFTER DAY, ALWAYS TAKING AND NEVER OFFERING.

BUT I HAVE HAD SOME REALLY LOVELY EXPERIENCES TOO. THE ELDERLY COUPLE WHO TOOK AN OLD TV OF OURS WITH AN IN BUILT VIDEO PLAYER. THEY WERE OVERJOYED TO BE ABLE TO WATCH ALL THEIR OLD FAVOURITES AGAIN,

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

I've not used freecycle, but a lot of mother in laws furniture went that way. When I got married the first time, the only new thing we had was a bed. everything else came via family. It seemed to be a good excuse for someone to have a  new fridge,  remodel the living room, get a new dining suite etc. As I got on my feet and had new,  the still functioning stuff went to another member of the family. (big family, my mum was one of seven and I have 18 cousins.) Its odd going to a relatives, and seeing the table that was donated to me as a student in Manchester, came home in the back of a morris minor, went to my first house, then to my sisters,  and then to a cousin.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

yes, we have old furniture still that has been handed to us from relatives (stuff i like obviously) otherwise it would be on trash nothing image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149

I used Freecycle for a few years but gave up after being messed about by too many people who said they wanted something but then couldn't be bothered to turn up to collect it, or who asked if I could deliver. Useful things go to the charity shop now.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I've tried to give things away on Freestyle but it would have cost me to give!...

Offered a shed and said it would need collecting..all the responses asked me to deliver, same with a flat screen TV...I gave up...image....I now have a car boot and if stuff isn't sold by lunch time, throw things in for free if people show an interest in an item...image

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

Pansyface sorry missed your post earlier must have cross posted with the other replies, yes some people do abuse it and sell stuff on but i think you get people abusing systems of all sorts.

I'm lucky everyone has turned up to pick things up i've offered and i always make sure i turn up if people are kind enough to offer, i always explain what i want it for in my e-mails e'g my sons 1st flat & then people can make up their minds if they want to offer it to you or not

• WaysideWayside Posts: 807

I like the idea, and use these type of things for lots.  But I wish there was a member feedback mechanism to shake out the skanks and time wasters.

Write: sorry no deliveries on ads.

Last edited: 12 June 2016 23:11:28

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,290

I got the most stunning white waterlily on freecycle on Saturday. A garden sieve a couple of weeks ago. 

My best one was an electric garden shredder.

I got rid of all my greenhouse glass through freecycle. I love it.

Devon.