Forum home The potting shed

Newly,planted seeds

Having  planted canterbury bell seeds in some fresh new compost mix, in 4 x 50 cm troughs, which are outside (I don't have an inside area) - is there anything I can do to "DETER " cats from scratching in them, as a toilet ?   all advice welcome, "thankyou" image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,149

I bought a roll of the smaller holed chicken netting (known in my old village as rabbit wire) and lay pieces of this on top of seedbeds.  Weight it down with stones or tie it down. It keeps the neighbour's cats off in this garden.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TadsTads Posts: 210

ok, thanks  dovefromaboeve image 

• SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344

I have the same problem in my garden, but I think it's foxes. Very, very annoying whoever is responsible!

As soon as I've dug anywhere or planted anything, I come out in the morning to holes and plants buried in the dug out soil.

I've heard that leaving thorny branches (i.e. cuttings from roses, pyracantha, etc.) on the beds also helps.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,033

Dot holly about and remove it when plants are big enough for the beasts to lose interest in th surrounding soil. Pyracantha or anything thorny works too but avoid brambles in case they root.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850

I find wire netting or plastic clematis netting best for protecting newly-sown beds (raised veg beds in particular) against cats etc.  

Newly-planted beds need a different technique - recently I've used rose prunings stuck vertically into the soil, which work if they're close enough together.  (Though some of them appear to be growing!)

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,297

cat deterrent? another £1 for the jar?

Devon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,033

Kerching!!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

This is more a humorous response rather than a serious antidote to keeping cats at bay.  Did anyone see a video doing the rounds on Facebook in recent months.  I know a lot of these FB things are fakes - but there was one of the supposed response of cats to putting a cucumber near them.  They all jumped away from it.  Not knowing whether this was genuine or not a friend decided he would try this in his garden.  Being a smart fellow (!?) he bought a basket of plastic vegetables from a poundshop - which had a plastic cucumber in it.  (Stifle the laughter - especially if it's on the bawdy side!!!).  He claims that it worked ...but...let's say none of us have been around as witnesses to the event.image  We had hoped he'd have bought a dozen real cucumbers - just to see if the tale resulted in having to buy new ones again and again.

Last edited: 12 June 2016 17:24:53

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850

I suspect there are very few truly "new" gardening problems, Hosta - but a lot of new gardeners.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I found bamboo sticks (the ones you use when bbq'ing) thrust into the bare soil and jaunty angles works well to keep animals from digging the area.