Forum home The potting shed

Batemans

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Has anyone been to Bateman's garden in Sussex this week or recently.

I want to see the rose garden and I'm guessing that this will be a good week as roses should be out by now. Timing is crucial.

I left Mottisfont a couple of weeks too late last year and most of the roses were over.

Mind you it's chucking it down outside so I'll need to take an umbrella.

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,305

The rose arbour at Batemans is wonderful!  I haven't been there for a few years though; why not give them a ring if you are travelling far.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

It's only up the road. We visited Bateman's and also Monk's House today.

Bateman's house was wonderful, lots of lovely stone mullion windows and beams, the rose arbour was ok but I was not really taken with the rose garden.

Loved Virginia Wolf's garden at Monk's House, it was everything I wanted my garden to be if I wasn't such a neat freak image

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Lou - do  you have any photos of Monk's House?  I would love to see those.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

We left the house without our camera annoyingly but trip advisor has lots of pics of it. There are also lots of great pics of it on Pinterest.

The plants were all the usual, roses, geraniums, bears breeches - but so artfully done it was lovely and the house was quirky and fun with lots of homemade items like painted furniture and needlework.

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Thanks Lou12. I'll peruse the web content.