Gardener's World and animal experimentation

Very disappointed to receive promotional advertising from Gardener's World for the British Heart Foundation. For me gardening is all about peace and trying to be more in harmony with nature. One, what has medical research got to do with gardening? Two, if Gardener's World does wish to promote medical research, please promote that which does not use animals, Three, if Gardener's World really must promote organisations which fund animal research, at least have the guts to tell your subscribers how the money they raise will be used!

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Try using an ad-blocker, saves a lot of annoyance.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

BETA BLOCKER?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

THAT TOO, AND MAYBE SOME SLEEPING TABLETS?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

FIRSTLY, LET ME ASSURE YOU THAT I AM NOT SHOUTING. I AM WAITING FOR THE FORUM TO ADOPT A TYPEFACE WHICH IS LEGIBLE TO ME, A HALF BLIND GARDENER.

I FIND THE PROPOSITION THAT GARDENERS' WORLD SHOULD SPURN ANY FUNDING FROM ANY ORGANISATION WHICH SUPPORTS OR USES ANIMAL TESTING QUITE ODD ON MANY LEVELS.

FOR ONE, COMMERCIAL INVESTMENTS ARE SO TIGHTLY KNOTTED TOGETHER AND INTERWOVEN THAT IT WOULD BE VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ANY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS WHICH IS COMPLETELY FREE OF ANY COMMERCIAL LINK TO ANYTHING WHICH INVESTS IN ANYTHING WHICH USES OR SUPPORTS ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS.

SECONDLY, WHY PICK ON GARDENERS' WORLD? ARE GARDENERS SUPPOSED TO BE ANIMAL CRUELTY FREE? HAVE YOU VISITED THE SHELVES OF A GARDEN CENTRE LATELY? THEY ARE STUFFED WITH CHEMICALS THAT ARE DESIGNED BRING TO AN END THE LIVES OF SLUGS, SNAILS, CATERPILLARS, BEETLES, WASPS, ANTS ETC ETC IN AS GRUESOME A WAY AS WILL DELIGHT THE GARDENER WHO IS UNDER ATTACK. AND THEN THERE ARE THE MOLE TRAPS AND THE MOUSE TRAPS - HORRIBLE.

THIS FORUM IS CHOCK FULL OF PEOPLE WHO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW BEST TO WREAK REVENGE ON THEIR NEIGHBOURS' CATS FOR HAVING HAD TO NERVE TO EMPTY THEIR BOWELS,  IN A NATURAL FASHION, IN THE EARTH IN THEIR GARDEN.

HUMAN BEINGS ARE BEING CRUEL TO ANIMALS EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY.

I AM A MEMBER OF THREE ANIMAL CHARITIES AND SEND THEM ALL REGULAR DONATIONS. I CURRENTLY OWN TWO RESCUE ANIMALS.

I THINK THAT COMPLAINING ABOUT BIG BUSINESS AND ITS METHODS OF RAKING IN CASH IS USING TOO WIDE A SCATTERGUN ATTACK.  MY PHILOSOPHY IS DO WHAT YOU CAN DO YOURSELF. CONCENTRATE YOUR EFFORTS ON WHAT IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE. NOBODY IS GOING TO BRING DOWN CAPITALISM ON AN ARGUMENT AGAINST ANIMAL CRUELTY.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,714

I'm sure if we widened the debate we'd not find a board of directors without some dodgy individual with whom we could take issue. No advertising revenue = no magazine.

Devon.