Asparagus-in-waiting

Hi there. I'm hoping someone here will be able to answer my question:

I planted 5 asparagus crowns in April. Nice, well brought up ones, from a reputable company. They were given their very own bed, devoid of weeds and other undesirable neighbors, dug to perfection, containing only the richest of soil and well-composted manure. I watered them whenever the bed looked uncomfortably dry. I did everything except whisper sweet nothings to them.

Now, nothing.

Where'd they go?? Will they sprout this year? Have I done something to offend them?

Your advice would be appreciated. I don't want to go a-rootling just yet in case they're planning a surprise for me for later on, but I would like to know what's happening down there.

Thanks.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,720

Sadly, I would have expected them to be shooting by now ......I'd risk a little furtle by one of them to see what is happeningimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

SLUGS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FieldtamerFieldtamer Posts: 20

Oh pansy, don't say that! If they have been eaten (and not by me!) then that would suggest that new ones won't sprout either. I've always wanted to have an asparagus bed. How can I beat the slugs if they're snorkeling along under the soil?? I go out every day at least twice and pull slugs off my veg when I spot them, but subterranean slugs? That's just not a fair fight.

Chicky, I think you might be right. I will have a little tentative furtle (good word, thanks) tomorrow. At least I'll know if pansyface is right.

Cheers

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

FROM SLUGWATCH.CO.UK:-

Most slugs live underground and the ones that can be seen feeding above ground are only approximately 5% of the total slug population.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Well, ugh. Thanks pansy.image

Good news!! I have an asparagus shoot! Just the one at the moment, and perhaps this means the slugs only missed the one, but a shoot nonetheless! Will wait and see a bit longer...

• Ursula8Ursula8 Posts: 3

Be patient!  We planted 6 asparagus crowns in March and the last of the shoots has only now surfaced! We are more than invaded with slugs, I gently weed and loosen the soil which in our case is clay.  Someone in our allotment told me that slugs don't like to have the ground disturbed.  True or false?! but I do think it has kept the slugs at bay1image

Thanks for that Ursula, I'll do what you suggest. I keep nipping out to see if there are any other new shoots, so perhaps I'm being impatient.

• Ursula8Ursula8 Posts: 3