Forum home Plants

Climber for a north facing fence

MeelyMeely Posts: 79

has anyone got a suggestion, there has already been a rose in there so I'm thinking clematis? I suggested a hydrangea but something with bigger blooms is desired. image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,462

Climbing hydrangea flowerheads are enormous! How big do you want the flowers?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

I've got clematis Nelly Moser and Hagley hybrid on a north facing trellis.  Nelly started flowering a couple of days ago.  

Also got a winter jasmine  the same area, but blooms smaller than you probably want.

• MeelyMeely Posts: 79

Do you think those would be too big for that space? or manageable? I think it's the look of the blooms with the hydrangea that she's not keen on, think she wants a colour that isn't white as well.

Last edited: 11 June 2016 20:05:40

Just looked at the Hagley hybrid it's lovely think that's the sort of thing. any other opions before I suggest that?

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

Hagley hybrid is a type 3 so you cut it hard each year back to the first bud - so manageable.  My hh has it's own 6' trellis, the Nelly and winter jasmine share one.

Im sure there are plenty of other north facing options but they were what I thought would work best for me ?

Thanks andy

• Your fence needs a white clematis to lighten it up in my opinion.

Small flowered best, viticella Alba Luxurians, Hagelby White, Kathryn Chapman, all multi flowered white over a long season, plus an early flowering white Broughton Bride would brighten the area in Spring.

Richard thanks for the ideas I agree white would work well but she (my sister) wants some colour. Il have a look at your suggestions and see what she says! 

Just had a look at your suggestions, The Alba luxurians l like we shall see!

• imageThis is a viticella mixture on one of the North facing fences here.