What do I do now?

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

OH is in a blind fury  I need your advice please,  last April neighbours asked if they could trim out trees as they were feeling it dark in their kitchen. We agreed, neighbour is huntin shootin type and said he had his own chainsaw and would do it.  We kept a close eye on them as they have caused destruction before. I asked them to stop when I felt it had gone far enough 

now the trees are completely dead! Ironic thing is neighbour planted them as he lived in our house when the land was sold off by the estate  it's a dreadful sight, healthy happy trees on either side

We are convinced he has poisoned them

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

What sort of trees are they? Certain trees must be cut at appropriate time of year or they bleed sap, or infection gets into cuts.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

It's quite ironic. They are beautiful golden lelandii 

have a long drive and keep them nrst and tidy and have taken tops out 5 years ago

A A Milne

Leylandii won't regrow out of brown wood.  If they got pruned back beyond the green (yellow) growth, they will not resprout.  April is the wrong time for trimming them, a light trim in summer is all they need if the tops are out.

Have you got a photo?

Last edited: 10 June 2016 17:38:52

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Here we go fidget

imageimage

A view of the drive, and the damage done

A A Milne
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Leyllandii can just die after cutting back in my experience. Normally they just continue to grow even if you take half a side away. But it's happened to me, did one for one client and next year dead.

Runny how awful! I totally empathise with you. You can never undo a bad pruning ( butcher) this place was a tip when we took over. 10 years of hard work and a thug with a chainsaw can spoil so much in a moment

Fidget and Dave I think you are right, it's been bad time along with gung ho attitude

probably our fault in agreeing in the first place but I am going to ask him what he thinks should be done now   He can't deny there is a problem!!  We have 5 neighbours adjoining us here. 3 have been a problem. I think they see us a daft townies who know nothing. Time to stop being so nice!!!!

A A Milne
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Hmm it is a problem but as I see it you agreed to let them do the work so it's a bit late to turn round and ask them what they are going to do about it now the trees are dead.

My neighbour at the bottom of the garden is always asking if she can pollard the ash tree and my amswer is always no! I do my own trees because I don't trust her not to damage the tree.

I am rude if necessary as it's a beautiful tree.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Lily Lilly

I agree with the other's you should have done it yourself,i know it's upsetting,we learn from our mistakes?

I think it's just died, possibly helped on its way by pruning at the wrong time. Take it out, and see if there is room for a good replacement, maybe holly , that would be more amenable to being hacked at.

You have a lovely drive and mature trees.

Thanks every one. I will swallow my pride and take trees out and start again

Fidget thank you for kind comment about the drive, we do try very hard to keep it neat and tidy, there was no gravel on it when we came. It was a sorry sight

A A Milne