Forum home Wildlife gardening

Your garden

I am absolutely amazed at the wildlife that has taken up residence in my garden, I've tried very hard to be wildlife friendly and feel very rewarded to have some success stories. 

This year has been the best ever we have:

Bumblebee nest in a birdbox, 2 bluetit nests in bird boxes (1 fledged, 1 still feeding), a swallow nest in the shed, bats in our roof, frogs tadpoles and newts in the pond.

What wildlife do you have in your garden ... any successful strategies for attracting them??

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,358

BEEN A BRILLIANT YEAR FOR GREENFLY. NEVER SEEN SO MANY SNAILS. 

NO, WE HAD A NESTBOX FULL OF BLUETITS, ANOTHER OF GREAT TITS, A NEST OF WRENS SOMEWHERE OR OTHER AND A HIDDEN ROBIN'S NEST THAT PRODUCED TWO BABIES.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

That sounds like my sort of garden jonesk.image

We have pipistrelles breeding in the roof and some tree bumblies up there as well. Noisy neighbours sometimes but we love them.

More tree bumblebees in a box (rescued along with their box)

Newts, 2 (or maybe 3) species, slow worms (rescued) and grass snakes. Few frogs and no toads which is bit sad. 

Lots of birds and insects, big on dragon flies and moths

Our strategy is not to work too hard and let it all happen while still keeping a garden rather than an impenetrable jungle.

Last edited: 09 June 2016 21:36:25

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I've never had a pond in my garden before and I'm amazed at the wildlife it attracts. It's constantly buzzing with dragon flies, damsel flies, mayflies, willow warblers, as well as all the usual suspects blackbirds, robins etc. I had a pair of coal tits in a hole in the wall but one day they just stopped. There were babies but they never fledged. I've no idea what happened. There are no cats or obvious predators. Maybe the heat killed them. It must have been like an oven.

I'm sad that there don't seem to be any wrens this year. I had a nest last year. I also had a big dopey heron who wandered about but there's no sign of him yet either.

I noticed yesterday that I have frogpoles at about this stage.

I'm sure they have a proper name but if I knew it I've forgotten. 

Loads of frogs as well which leap all roads when I'm cutting the grass. It's all go because there is plenty of cover and deluxe facilities....obviously! image

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,876

Slow worms, grass snakes, bats, too many bird species to list and these lovely creatures. Our garden has played nursery to many generations of roe deer.

• iceice Posts: 327

We've bumbles in the garage under  crack in the floor. No pond but a toad and frogs hang out in the garden too. Hoping for birds nests next year though plenty of visitors

AW, LOVE THE FROGPOLE. HE LOOKS LIKE HE COULD WAG THAT TAIL LIKE A LITTLE DOG.

OURS ARE STILL JUST PLAIN OLD TADPOLES. NOT EVEN A HINT OF A LEG YET.

BAMBI image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,275

Froglets ppauper  image

I have none this year but there are so many on the hills just now that you have to watch you don't step on them  image

I saw a Painted Lady today. Thrilled because I used to have them in the garden round the corner but it's the first time I've seen one in this garden. It's taken three years of effort  creating a garden, but it's well worth it  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,275

Gorgeous pix steephill  image

Even if they're  a nuisance....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• We have quite a few birds with some nesting in boxes and in hedges.  Frogs, snails & newts in the tiny pond and hedgehogs wandering around the garden at night. We are a bit short on wild mammals over here but are always pleased to see that the hedgehogs have been visiting.