Forum home Garden design

Shed questions

Guys,

I'm looking to buy a garden shed, but as this will be my first one I'm not quite sure the best type to go for.

I'm wondering if metal rusts easily. Or if light plastic suffer from grass stains and if so are they easy to remove. And then there's wood.

Would appreciate if pros and cons for each could be advised.

Thanks in advance!

• cornellycornelly Posts: 963

I have had wooden sheds for quite a few years, felt roof which needs to be changed after about five years or so, and I paint the shed each year with an oil based paint, looks good and lasts.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 807

I have a shed that sprung a leak, tree rubbing went un-noticed.  I don't like the look of felt at all, and am happier if it's covered with branches above.

I went to buy replacement felt.  Took the old felt off, found loads of rot.  And the tongue and groove seems expensive or hard to get.  And sheets of ply are hard to move.

Anyway the reason I say this, is that afterwards I thought it probably easier to have just built something.  And I'd rather have a shed that could take a bit more weight on the roof.  For a living roof, or wood or clay tiles.  I think it would be far more pleasing to the eye.  And actually reclaimed tiles would be cheaper than roof felt I reckon.

• I get the impression that self-build would be unrealistic for the OP. They want ideas for 'purchase-able' sheds. Lots of people (me included) would probably love to self-build. But don't have the time, tools, skill-set and/or knowledge

Bielly - I am REALLY no expert. But have been looking at sheds a lot lately due to needing to replace some ourselves! We moved into a house with two large metal sheds used by the previous owner who had a clearance company. They have no signs of rust, and are very sturdy. They do, however, have condensation problems where it gathers on the roof and runs down the sides. Also, the doors of these particular ones slide open and make an absolute racket, always coming off the runners due to warping. But I think well cared-for metal sheds could be good if the condensation issue was overcome or not a problem - they seem pretty secure-able. 

We are going to take them down and buy a wooden replacement. I just feel wood looks so much nicer and suits us nicely. Take a look at local shed companies (i.e., look at your local 'yellow pages'), and there are also some online suppliers - Easy Shed seem good. 

Will the shed go on soil or concrete? The base is really important either way. We already have a concrete base but will be buying wooden bearers of the base for air-flow and to avoid water-logging. 

• SammymummySammymummy SurreyPosts: 198

Hi, I've come across this thread by chance, so may I jump in and ask a question or two? My cheap wooden shed, about 7 years old, is leaning to one side and we suspect it's because the concrete patio underneath is not level (although the handyman who assembled it assured us it was level). When we moved in 10 years ago, there was a newish shed, which leaned too, that's why we replaced it.

I need to replace the current one sooner or later (when money's available that is) as the rain gets in from one side and the floor is rotting. I'd like one of sturdier material, and hopefully rain-proof. I don't have space for a separate greenhouse so was thinking to have a brick shed with a large window to the east so that I can keep tender perennials on the windowsill, etc. It will of course be un-heated.

I guess one of the downside of a brick shed is it's expensive to build and may look horrible. Does any of the forum users have a brick shed and can give me advice?  

Many thanks for your help.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

I looked at the wheelie bin storage and all the pics show the bins opening at the top from front to back. But the handles are at the back. How do you get your bin out??? or am I being too practical?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I bought a reasonable quality wooden garden shed  that is now  at least  25 yrs old It is still looking Ok .It was placed on large timber beams which are looking rather worse for wear.  It has been shed painted every few years .  I am getting concerned that the supports underneath are going to let it down soon .

I cannot remember how much my original 10x10 ft? 8ft shed was, but a current model with the same spec'  would be about £800 to £1000 now . 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• WaysideWayside Posts: 807

Nice doghouse, Riley.

• Lots of good advice here but if your not sure what you want/need why not do what I did last year which is hold of to August Bank holiday and head to your local Garden Centre,  I got a decent enough shed for  £50, actually cost more to hire a van to take it home. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,910

Its like "how long" is a piece of string" isnt it!  We have been looking (literally yesterday on-line) to replace both of ours, yes, I agree same as greenhouses, what ever you buy isnt big enough! We have a 4x6, which contains gardening tools, 8x10, other tools, bikes shredder,rotivator, one reenhouse is full of indoor stuff china pots, etc, we downsized, openplan bungalow, I want the "small" shed big enough to put these things.   A shed for £50, how big is it? We are only looking at shiplap or t & G, know nothing about metal, brck built would cost a fortune and you would like need some kind of Council approval as it would be a permanent structure.  Our big one has been laid on earth, which is a shame, obviously why it has rotted, the small one likely going to cost around £400, and nearer the grand for a bigger one, hoping to get 8x12.