Glass panel fencing and railway sleepers

Hi,

I am new to the site and was after some advice/help.

I have quite a large raised patio area which needs a fence. My husband has come up with the idea of glass paneling in sleepers. 

We have the glass balustrade panels and was thinking of inserting the glass panels in to railway sleepers and securing them in to the patio edge. He will rout in to the sleeper to match the thickness of the panel and go in enough to secure it in place.

Do you think this is possible? I cant see any images online of anything similar?

Have you seen anything?

Thanks

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 935

I'm trying picture the image you are describing. So you have railways sleepers at the base which have a routed slot to receive the glass. Am I right so far? What is the plan for a hand rail or verticals?

I guess the first thing you would want to make sure is that it would be safe in the event of someone somehow tripping and falling onto / into the assembly. The other challenge might be as a simple as keeping it clean?

Anyway good luck, sounds an interesting project.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Make sure the sleepers are well secured to the ground. It doesn't need to be a very big area of glass for the wind to catch it and take off like a kite. My friend's mum was standing on his drive on a not too breezy day when next door's trampoline came over the fence.

I like the look of your plan in my head. Post some pics. image

• frycsfrycs Posts: 4
    Dave Humby says:

I'm trying picture the image you are describing. So you have railways sleepers at the base which have a routed slot to receive the glass. Am I right so far? What is the plan for a hand rail or verticals?

I guess the first thing you would want to make sure is that it would be safe in the event of someone somehow tripping and falling onto / into the assembly. The other challenge might be as a simple as keeping it clean?

Anyway good luck, sounds an interesting project.

See original post

Hi,

Yes that is right, we will be securing the sleepers deep in to the wall so no problem there. We was going to leave it so it is frameless, the fence should come to just over a meter high.

Thanks image

plant pauper says:

Make sure the sleepers are well secured to the ground. It doesn't need to be a very big area of glass for the wind to catch it and take off like a kite. My friend's mum was standing on his drive on a not too breezy day when next door's trampoline came over the fence.

I like the look of your plan in my head. Post some pics. image

See original post

Hi,

I will post some pics when its complete.

It will be very secure.

Thanks image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

Sounds lovely - everything shows up on glass, you'll be cleaning them every day :)

Look forward to seeing the pics!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Has anyone seen this idea before and got pictures?

Thanks,

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,394

Google "glass fencing" and you will find images using different fixings.  

It will need to be high spec safety glass and you'll have to have very secure fixings to keep it grounded and with gaps between the vertical supports to allow wind to pass through and reduce resistance.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,084

Are you using opaque glass ?  Clear glass in a garden is not particularly bird friendlyimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021

I wouldn't put glass in (safety or otherwise) as a screen without vertical posts and a top/hand rail to attach it to. Asking for trouble....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....