Forum home Garden design

Advice for a novice with a steep, terraced garden

Hello everyone,

Since I know no dedicated gardeners, I thought I would join your in order to learn and appeal for suggestions for improving our difficult garden. I have meant to spend more time on it, since I see it when I wash up, when I'm hanging out and collecting washing, and also on the welcome sunny days when we sit at the top and bask.

As you can see, we have there levels of usable space. Previous planting of various vegetables were left inedible through the toilet habits of cats, including our own. Other than this, we see some magpies, collared doves, pigeons, as well as the standard range of garden birds and occasional grey squirrel.

When we moved in three years ago, there were many brambles in every area. I have pruned them, dug up their roots and dropped them in our garden waste bin at various times.

Only weeks ago, horse tail appeared for the first time, after attempting to dig them all up I ordered suitable weed killer and will be keeping the cats indoors while it works.

I would love to hear your suggestions for improvement.

Thank you,

Josh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,291

Hi Josh. I think you are doing just fine. Your border alongside the fence near the washing line may only be able to support lots of shorter plants because larger laundry items will get blown by any breeze into them (I have this problem image) The other border I can see in the picture could be the home for taller items.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

As you're standing looking out your window are you looking at blank walls/supports. If so you could grow some trailing ground cover over the edges and slightly taller stuff at the back of the bed so that you're seeing more plant than wall. 

Maybe a couple of climbers on the fence in the bed near the washing line since it seems to have some sunshine in the picture and some low stuff as LB says. Think about perfume around the seating area as well. Honeysuckle, jasmine that type of thing depending on your conditions and then maybe some slightly larger shrubs at the back to cover the fence. Philadelphus for flowers and scent.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 572

Agree with pauper. We have a mature Pyracantha which covers most of our top fence, but used Jasmine to quickly cover up the more exposed parts.  We have some large shrubs, to give structure and use lots of grasses and wispy plants (Verbena, Sanguisorba) to create transparent views through to the top terrace.  I'd also suggest putting some planters on your terrace, to break up the hard surfaces, and bring the garden closer to the house.   

image    image    image