Forum home The potting shed

Rose clear

Morning to you all just a quick question about rose clear they say the best time to use it is first thing in the morning  and calm conditions so fair enough. 

How ever as we all know that's not always possible so on Monday afternoon  I started to spray the roses and was abruptly stopped and told because the sun was shining and it was hot I would damage the roses well I have checked the roses I had Sprayed before I was spotted and I have found no damage to as I suspected just another reason for move on . Any one ever encountered damaged leaves 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I've heard that and assumed it's due to the same reason you shouldn't water in full sun. The droplets form little lenses/magnifying glasses and can burn spots on the leaves.

It could also be that the sun causes the moisture to evaporate off too quickly and the Rose Clear is not absorbed properly leaving marks on the leaves. 

Either way I did exactly the same thing on Monday afternoon and my roses look fine. I think it's probably just a precaution.

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,582

I think Rose Clear contains an insecticide. In which case there is some merit in spraying late in the evening when there are fewer beneficial pollinators about.

Will still zap some of them thoughimage

I use a fungicide if (and only if) there is a lot of black spot on the roses. I try to live with insect damage or use organic methods to control aphids (picking them off / blasting with the hose etc)

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down