Forum home The potting shed

And then my tree fell down..

It must be the tiny climbing rose I've just started to train up it that's knocked it over.

Hmmm... at least it missed my new rose arch!

• Lantana, an ash, I think, which had been pollarded a while back but was fighting back with many a branch! We cut off quite a few branches a couple of weeks ago to allow room for the arch, it seemed very stable then. Maybe it realised it wasn't wanted.... 

• That's a shame, Tetley. We had another ash taken out last year as it was too close to the house - wowsers, that one did NOT want to come down! 

The previous owners had allowed many of the trees to get absolutely infested with ivy, like you say, the weight of it can't have helped. It wasn't adding anything to the garden aesthetically as it was almost part of the hedge and was heavily pollarded, but it's still sad. 

What's now also sad is that I'm going to have a big black hole in my hedge when we cut it down properly and take it away! 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

My enormous ash has not yet shown any sign of die back - we are rooting for it (no pun intended).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118

It was probably on the way out anyway KBG - the ivy will simply have colonised it. On the plus side, it made it easier for you to get rid of ..image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sending you some 'please fall down gently' vibes, Lou image

That's true, Fairygirl - it's literally toppled over at the base of the trunk and looks entirely rotten there. Good job I wasn't sitting at the garden table when it happened!

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

That was a close one!!! :-o

• Luckily that's the only one which has bad ivy on it now, aym - my 'nice' trees are all ok. Flipping ivy, I hate the stuff image