Forum home Talkback

Neighbour selfish Hi there

Hi there 

Has anyone had the opposite problem of over hanging bushes, there is a beautiful white flowering bush that is growing in my neighbours garden at the front has spread over onto mine, l don't mind because it looks lovely and lm growing things on either side, but lve come home and she has trimmed it back off my garden to her border line leaving a huge gap, she hasn't touched any other part of the Bush only what was on my side,don't know why she has done it wasn't causing a problem, don't see her to speak to only I'm at work all week, she would of had to come on my path to cut it back,do you think lm over reacting? will have to get something to fill in the gap.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,382

Hi Peggy. She probably thinks it's causing you a nuisance and is saving you the trouble of maintaining her shrub. Why not go round and have a word with her? I expect she'd be delighted to hear that you love it and are happy to 'share'  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

ditto fairygirl image i would go round and say that there is no need to prune it next time unless she has another reason to, i expect she thought she was being neighbourly by pruning it and not causing it to encroach your garden.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Speak to her. Explain you are grateful for her work but that there really was no need.

The Internet is no match to face to face conversation.

• Laurel HedgePosted: Yesterday at 22:25

Hi ..new to this forum and would like some advice on a laurel hedge that was planted several years ago. This laurel replaced a privet hedge due to an issue of subsidence and is now shared between us and the neighbours. For the first time I was involved in helping out to trim this laurel. Previously this was carried out by my neighbour who is 79 years old. We lived in a shared flat conversion. The couple next door, who live in a house, both in their mid sixties have also done their fair share. Both parties worked from their respective sides and each took their turn to maintain the chosen height.

This year, both the parties and my elderly neighbour had an attempt to trim it. The height was unsatisfactory and the  laurel needed thinning down a bit. A discussion ensued between the neighbours and my neighbour and they both agreed a certain height (should technically be a metre as it is in the front of the house) but the neighbour next door wishes to maintain it about 6 inches higher so we have gone along with this.

The laurels were planted professionally about a foot apart. It has grown quite profusely over the years but at one point it has left a wide gap, 30cm apart at the bottom rising to a conical shape of about 35 cm. This morning I proceeded to trim the laurel, reducing the height as briefed by my neighbour and also cut off lots of scraggly bits and generally thinned it out, not much but where it needed it In order that it looked neat and flushed. 

Lo behold I received a letter from the couple next door expressing concern that I have created a hole without consulting them. Further more they requested that I buy a laurel and plant it in this gap. The gap has always been there. The weeds around this gap have been cleared out so perhaps it is more prominent now. It was not my intention to create this hole as they put it. Everyone I consulted have asked me to ignore this. I can't help feeling provoked and am quite annoyed. I don't wish to enter into neighbour disputes. This lady has had run ins with all the other neighbours who have commented on her being extremely rude. Does anyone think she is worthy of a reply and what is my legal standing. 

Thanks

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

hi laurelchic, i would suggest creating a new thread as it may get missed here, the new thread button is at the top of the latest posts page, i'd cut & paste your main message to save typing it all again image

Last edited: 08 June 2016 10:48:25