Hedgehog poop

imageCould this be hedgehog poo ?   

Last edited: 07 June 2016 10:29:25

• Try hardTry hard Posts: 25

Yes, I have a least one hedgehog and the run it uses every day always has fresh poo. My hosta is hole free and every time I look at them I say thank you. 

• Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

i have poo daily, what i get for feeding him.  annoying as baby daughter could walk in but its normally quite hard

little git goes and eats turns around and poos in the box and then along the path as he leaves

eating well then i gather

• We dont know if the animal under the garden shed is a hedgehog ! We find the poo in the morning and the picture shown looks the same,but can Hedgehogs dig to go under a shed ? Any advice would be useful. We are going to purchase a wildlife camera.Thats the only way we will know for sure.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,860

Hedgehog faeces are quite distinctive.

Unless your shed is tight to the ground with no access, it is surprising how little space a Hedgehog needs to squeeze in (and out )

As Bonsai marc says, it is quite easy to pick/scoop up and put in the compost or on the borders.  Far more pleasant than Cat/Dog faeces at any rate.image

• Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

if a hedgehog you maybe able to spot around 9-10pm, seem to be the start of the active period

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Yes, definitely hedgehog poop. Are you feeding him/her cat biscuits/bowel of water? 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,860

Forget the cat biscuits or any cat or dog food..........a mix of chopped peanuts, sultanas (soaked) ,sunflower hearts and mealworms.  A bowl of water alongside will ensure Hedgehog Heavenimage

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

I'm still waiting for our hedgehog pooh! Our first sign last year wasn't until July. Can't wait

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Lovely pics Doghouse Riley image

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    philippa smith2 says:

Forget the cat biscuits or any cat or dog food..........a mix of chopped peanuts, sultanas (soaked) ,sunflower hearts and mealworms.  A bowl of water alongside will ensure Hedgehog Heavenimage

See original post

Sultanas contain a lot of sugar which in turn can rot the hedgehog's teeth. (I've seen this quite frequently). Overfeeding on mealworms isn't great either because they contain a lot of fat and not a huge deal of nutrition. We use them at the rescue as a treat. Cat biscuits help clean their teeth as well.

If anyone has any further pictures please add them on the help save the hedgehog thread image good work!

Last edited: 08 June 2016 10:28:50