Soil Meters

Hi everyone...I have one of these Soil Meters, which measures Light, PH and Soil Moisture.

It is one of the cheap ones from Wilko and cost £4, so with it being so cheap, I was wondering just how accurate it will be.

Does price have any bearing on accuracy, as in the more money it costs the more accurate it will be, or are these type of meters a much of a muchness, so to speak.

Sheps...

Last edited: 06 June 2016 23:11:35

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,025

My pH meter cost £60 and is accurate, and £60 is about right for a 'decent' pH meter.

I doubt that for £4 you're going to get anything useful tbh.

I have bought similar meters on a couple of occasions aver the yrs.
    I've found them useless. The reading from one bit of earth is x and a bit of earth a few inches away gives a completely different reading.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,231

Hi Sheps. Forget about the light and moisture aspect - unneccessary. Just get a cheap soil testing kit from your garden centre. once you know it its unlikely you'll need to test the pH again.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 827

Thanks for the help image

It was more for the moisture side of things that I bought it, it will be used in the raised beds just to check that they are not drying out too much.

Sheps...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks scroggin...if it is OK for moisture then I'll stick with it until funds allow an upgrade.

Sheps...image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,231

Just stick your finger in the soil !!!! image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 880

I use a cheap moisture meter regularly for my houseplants and occasionally in the greenhouse and find it very useful. I've just put in some raised planters so may well use it there as well.

Ladybird4 says:

Just stick your finger in the soil !!!! image

See original post
    Hi Liz...I may very well stick my finger in the soil, in fact I did today image
    I have been using the meter to check deep down in the beds, I dig out 30cm and stick the soil meter in about another 25cm, just to see how moist the soil is at the bottom of the beds as I don't want them to dry out.
    Sheps...image