Forum home Problem solving

Easy Lawn patching

Hello

I have heard that there is a lawn seed available that doesn't require all the 'hard work' of actually planting seed in damaged areas - that it can simply be scattered on and watered. 

Is this the case, and if so what is it called?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 36,182

Hi becci. Scattering seed, raking and watering it in is the standard way of sowing a lawn. The seed is not 'planted' as such.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 10,269

On Gardener's World week before last Monty used grass plugs he'd grown to 'plant' in bare patches. Seems like a good idea.

He used modules with a pinch of seed in each, then when the grass was about 3" high he used it to patch the patches.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete8 says:

On Gardener's World week before last Monty used grass plugs he'd grown to 'plant' in bare patches. Seems like a good idea.

He used modules with a pinch of seed in each, then when the grass was about 3" high he used it to patch the patches.

See original post

I saw that.  I thought it was absolutely brilliant!

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

as I have some  patchs in my garden and it looks like it may work so try I will   image

• becci16becci16 Posts: 5

Thanks everyone. Is there a particular brand anyone would recommend?

Monty suggested using the same 'brand' as is in your current lawn.
    If you don't know, then just get a general-purpose lawn seed

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 349

HI all - has anyone tried this?  My lawn needs quite a bit of patching, and I've given up on seeding (poor germination, plague of wood pigeons!).  Questions like what depth modules, what compost (is sowing compost too thin for something which will be in the module for 3-6 months?), start off in greenhouse and move outside when established?, how often to water / feed?

Welcome your thoughts!

Hi Rob

I haven't yet tried, but if memory serves, Monty just used the usual modules you get if you buy 12 bedding plants - about 2" square. I can't remember what compost he used, but John Innes would likely do the job. He just sprinkled a pinch of grass seed on each module and covered with  little more.

It's grass, so no need for g/house or special treatment - treat it as you would your lawn, but without the mowing :)
    Main thing this time of year is not to let the modules dry out.
    I doubt they would need any feed.

I think Monty's were about 3 mths old when he used them to patch.

Best of luck

Last edited: 05 July 2016 10:34:30

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,421

hi becci,

I don't know how big the patches are you need to replace, but you may not want to go to the trouble of producing plugs (my husband has been doing this for a while, mainly to test different types of grass seed image).

There is a product called Patch Magic, but it is quite expensive, you'd probably be just as well off using a reasonable grass seed. I have consulted the Oracle (that is, husband), advice is to scratch over the soil, sow seed (not too thickly), water & try and keep the birds off. Hope this helps image

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,421
    I can see how he got the job image