Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ponds and birdbaths

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

For or those of us in the hot weather please remember to clean and fill up birdbaths. we have three ponds  the lowest is empty.! Doesn't often happen I am watching the birds looking for a drinking spot to take the chicks to. 

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Not got a pond but both bird baths were cleaned and filled this morning LilyPimage.  I'll probably have to refill them again later as the starlings are trying to bathe five at a timeimage

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Hi Lesley,

I sent you a PM yesterday,

Starling! Can't live without them tho, image  isnt this weather amazing?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

The magpies that use my pond are in and out about 4 or 5 times at one visit. Or 'hokey cokeying' as I call it - In, out, in, out, shake it all about....image

Just as well I got  an outside tap put in - I had to top the pond up and aerate it a bit.

It's been so dry here that I can hillwalk in shoes - all the bogs are dry - unheard of. Lots of little pools, even near the summits,  are completely dried out too as there's been so little rain. 

Are we turning into Essex up here? I don't know how to speak the lingo.... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Note to self - don't skim read!  Philippa I could have sworn you had pheasants in the bird bathimageimage.  Unfortunately we have had five or six starling nests in the eaves this year and they don't half make a racket and a mess of the car and patio,  I haven't dared hang washing out half the timeimage.  I think they will probably have second broods but after that they will be evicted and the 'doors' boarded up.  Well chicken wire might do it.

Thanks LilyP I've repliedimage.

• Not a bad.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

I don't qualify as an Essex girl then either philippa image

Lesley - at my last house, we DID have a pheasant in the bird bath once! She didn't stay in it long....

They're not the brightest birds in the world though image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I'm amazed the pheasant managed to get up as high as a birdbathimage.  They tend to run about like headless chickens and wait till the last minute before they remember they can flyimage.  Mind you if there were lines of people with guns waiting for me to take to the air I would have second thoughts tooimage.

Just been out and refilled the baths for the umpteenth timeimageimage