Forum home Tools and techniques

Using mirrors to to direct the sunlight

I have this area of the garden that is in the shade after a certain time of the day. Primarily this is due to a wall. The area gets sunlight up to about 1300hrs. I’m been using a mirror for one particular Rudbeckia plant that was struggling a little due to being the one plant that was in the shaded area more than the others. Of course I have to keep nipping out to move the mirror slightly as the sun moves, but it’s ok-I don’t stay home to do it.image

The photo shows the plant I refer to, and the reflection of the mirror on the wall. Does anyone else use mirrors around the garden for the shaded areas? image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

No, I use plants suitable for shaded areas, to me it looks more natural which is what I like

• young codgeryoung codger Posts: 291

More natural? I don`t leave the mirror out LOL, It` only for a few hours on the occasional day but it does seem to have made a difference to the growth. (The other 6 Rudbecks are in good sun light). It is just a bit of top up sun for the one in the area near the wall.

Last edited: 05 June 2016 14:27:39

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,149

There is a basic gardening mantra - Right Plant Right Place - which save a lot of stress to plants and hassle and expense to gardeners.  

I don't see the point of trying to grow sun lovers in shade.

I suggest you move your rudbeckias to a sunnier spot then improve the soil with plenty of organic matter - garden or bought in compost - and then find plants suited to shade that will like the situation.  There's no shortage of choice that will give you colour and form in both foliage and flower.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • young codgeryoung codger Posts: 291

I`m happy doing things this way. We are talking about ONE plantimage,

and by next week it will have caught up to the other 6.image

Last edited: 05 June 2016 14:31:29

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,928

GRAND WAY TO SET FIRE TO IT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,149

It does seem very lonely all by itself.  Why not move it closer to the others so it gets more sun naturally and plant some ground cover shade lovers to cover up all that bare soil.

Last edited: 05 June 2016 14:55:17

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,591

Mirrors in gardens enhance the possibility of bird strikes......particularly at this time of year .  Risky even for just part of a day.

If you are forced to "make" some light for a plant, why not use a sheet of cardboard and paint it white ?

At one time, garden "designers" advocated the use of mirrors for dark/basement/courtyard type gardens.  I believe most of them have now come to their sensesimage

• 123Rowen123Rowen Posts: 9
    obelixx says:

There is a basic gardening mantra - Right Plant Right Place - which save a lot of stress to plants and hassle and expense to gardeners.  

I don't see the point of trying to grow sun lovers in shade.

I suggest you move your rudbeckias to a sunnier spot then improve the soil with plenty of organic matter - garden or bought in compost - and then find plants suited to shade that will like the situation.  There's no shortage of choice that will give you colour and form in both foliage and flower.

See original post

Totaly agree about mantra. There is always a way to growth some plants in unaturall environment but do you want to care about it all the time (it's like a vegetables in Iceland - you can grow vegetables but they always need 200% more effort to have them). 

Just move it to light direction :) They would love it! 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

No, I set fire to a patient once with a badly placed mirror in sunlight. One minute I was bandaging her foot and the next her dress was on fire.

Luckily she was ok but we have removed all the mirrors and had to buy a new couch.

This is why I also have no dangly crystal things in my house.

Last edited: 14 June 2016 18:42:35

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007
    Lou12 says:

No, I set fire to a patient once with a badly placed mirror in sunlight. One minute I was bandaging her foot and the next her dress was on fire.

Luckily she was ok but we have removed all the mirrors and had to buy a new couch.

This is why I also have no dangly crystal things in my house.

Last edited: 14 June 2016 18:42:35

See original post

imageimageimageimage