Forum home Problem solving

Is seeding compost suitable for mature plants?

Hello, I have just bought a mountain of seeding compost as I was blinded by the very good price, I intend to use it for filling raised flower beds. (as you can tell I'm new to all this) my neighbour has said it will disintegrate after a while and be useless. I plan on mixing some manure in with it but now I'm worried that I've made an awful mistake which I will regret. I have lots of lovely plants to go in the beds and don't want to lose them because of poor compost. Can anyone shed some light please?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,157

THAT'LL BE OK WITH SOME NUTRIENTS ADDED. NOT A LOT OF NUTRIENTS IN SEED COMPOST.

NOT SURE ABOUT MANURE AT THIS POINT, MIGHT BE A BIT TOO MUCH FOR SOME PLANTS. SEE WHAT OTHERS THINK, 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,685

Seed compost is very low nutrient. You would need to add a good fertiliser like blood fish and bone. Is it loam based or peaty? The more fibrous sort will rot down and the level will drop. You really need topsoil or loam for raised beds.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,378

Seed compost has a fine texture, and has very little nutrient in it ....which is what seedlings like.

As long as you mix it with lots of well rotted manure, then I reckon it will be fine for raised beds, although if you need to do it again anywhere, I would go with top soil mixed with manureimage

• Hello, thank you all for your help and advice re the compost I bought. I decided to buy top soil to mix in to give it strength. Then I bought a fertiliser and some mannuer for added oomph :-) My husband has finished building my beds and all my plants are in and doing well. I can't wait for next year to see how they all settle in. Thank you again for the advice. I had about 30 bags of the potting compost left over which I shared out with my neighbours then gave the last 20 bags to an older guy doing his garden that my husband met in his rounds as a postman. So nothing wasted :-)