Forum home The potting shed

COMPOST COMPETITON

MY HUSBAND IS ENCOURAGING ME TO ENTER MY COMPOST INTO THE NOVELTY "BUCKET OF COMPOST" CATEGORY AT OUR LOCAL FLOWER SHOW AT THE END OF AUGUST.    (BECAUSE I'M REALLY NOT A GOOD GARDENER SO UNLIKELY TO HAVE FLOWERS GOOD ENOUGH TO PUT IN BUT I LOVE TO COMPOST)  MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE RULES SAY "AS DUG" BUT I ALWAYS SIFT BECAUSE I PUT IN LOTS OF COARSE MATERIAL AND DON'T HAVE A SHREDDER.

DO YOU THINK SIFTING IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE RULES?  IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A FUN COMPETITION AND I DON'T WANT TO BE KNOWN AS THE CRAZY LADY WHO CHEATED IN THE COMPOST COMPETITION.  

I WAS KIND OF THINKING IF I PRE-SIFTED NOW IT WOULD THEN BE "AS DUG" AT THE END OF AUGUST. 

HOW WOULD YOU INTERPRET THE RULES?

AND YES PEOPLE WOULD KNOW BECAUSE THE COMPOST BINS ARE ON THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE OPEN TO THE FRONT BECAUSE I LIKE TO SIT IN THE BACK GARDEN AND I DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT COMPOST BINS.  (FORTUNATELY THE MAN NEXT DOOR SPENDS HALF HIS YEAR IN THAILAND SO IS PRETTY EASY-GOING WHEN HE'S HERE.)  

TODAY I LEARNED THAT THE LOCAL CHILDREN ARE MUCH MORE ENTERTAINED BY WATCHING CRAZY DIRTY LADY CLIMBING IN HER BIN AND SIFTING COMPOST THAN OUR SEASONAL "SCARECROW TRAIL."

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,175

DEFINITELY NO SIFTING I'D SAY. IN FACT I'D LEAVE THE SPADE STUCK INTO IT FOR EXTRA VERISIMILITUDE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • jabsyjabsy Posts: 54

I bet the other competitors sieve their compost ;)  I probably would.  Or at least sift some of it not to make it too obvious.