Forum home Plants

Pond plant identification

i got this from my local garden centre, in their aquatics section. It had the label 'unknown plant'. It's now been in my marginal area for three weeks and is growing well, the only problem is, I have no idea what it is or could be! Can anyone help?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,472

Hi Daniel. It looks like Iris pseudacorus or yellow flag. Its flowers are reputed to be the origin of the fleur de lis, A lovely plant but can be a bit of a thug in a small pond.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • I already have some yellow flag so I'd be confident enough to say it's not that- the leaves are 'greener' than the yellow flag. I don't even think it's a variety of iris although I'm 100% sure I'm no expert!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I don't think it yellow flag. It looks nothing like mine. Unfortunately I can't identify it!

Can anyone else help?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,125

The American water iris, I.Versicolor, has much more slender leaves than Pseudacorus, so if you are lucky it could be that - it has very pretty blue flowers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,565

I think it is an Iris and could be a nice one as Buttercupdays suggests. 

• I also have an iris versicolor and it is different in leaf structure. I'll see if I can take a better photo and put it up to compare. Again, you could be right but I'm dubious based on what I've got already.

This is the flag iris I already have

This is my iris versicolor kermesina

This is the mystery plant. Note how it's got horizontal bars going up each leaf. I'm stumped!

• Mystery solved! An expert from Devon pond plants has worked out it's Juncus ensifolius. Google images backs that up. Cheers anyway