Forum home Plants

sea holly??? I don't think so

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Spot the difference!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,438

I think yours are both sea holly clarington...was it the broad leaved one you were unsure of?

I think it could be eryngium planum...what do others think?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,587

I've had a few mislabelled plants from lidl, but they're so cheap, they're worth the risk and I've had some excellent properly labelled plants. The best time to go is a Thursday when you can buy them before they show signs of neglect

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I think you are correct Victoria, I grew mine from Sarah Raven seed, and it is just like the one in the bottom half of your picture.

Thank you Victoria. I didn't know that there was a softer variety I thought they all had the sharp serrated leafs!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,778

the other one could be E. bourgatii Clarington

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,362

The bottom one look like Eryngium gigantium first year Next year they will turn prickly and start shooting up.

Both sort of leaves in the photo.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,719

I bought Eryngium alpinum seeds from Sarah Raven last year. They have smooth leaves but the flower spikes are just about to flower now. 

Dokane; even though it seems out of season (the box says plant October - April) my local Tesco (south Yorkshire) is selling roots again albeit reduced (not as reduced as when I brought it). 

• dokanedokane Posts: 26

Clarington I am so glad yours is a sea holly and thanks for the tip re Tesco.

I am determined to get an actual sea holly - I will not be thwarted again !

Thanks to all for the info and plant identification.   This is a wonderful forum!