cucumbers

LoganLogan Posts: 2,535

Hi all,i've been growing cucumbers for a few years now and never had any problems but the fruit keep dying when they are very small,they are all female plants,always grow the same variety , any ideas what it could be image

• NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 126

I think it's this cold snap as i've had the same problem. Only put 5 plants out a week ago and 2 seemed to have snuffed it and I don't hold out much hope for the other two image

• BLTBLT Posts: 476

I have my 4 plants in the growhouse and they look ok.. its been very cold this last week so not like summer..  Could your cues in the past years cultivar have 'Blossom end rot'?? Just an idea...

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,535

Thanks for the replies

Mine are in the conservatory,it could be the temperature, the fruits are just forming so I don't think it's blossom end rot,i'll just hope they pick up image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,263

Do you have insects in your conservatory?  I know that with cucumbers the fruit can appear to form, but then not develop properly, if there has been poor, or no, pollination.

Maybe get the paintbrush out and give it a go by hand ?

Last edited: 04 June 2016 16:02:50

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • BLTBLT Posts: 476

If you have several flowers open pick one, bare the stamens and use it as a brush to pollinate, better than a brush.. Conservatories get very hot.. enough to make the flowers drop off...

Last edited: 05 June 2016 00:33:04

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,535

Thanks,but they are all female plants and they don't need pollinating image

• I can not fathom out how the all female cucumber can produce fruit without pollinating.

They are supposed not to produce any seed.

Perhaps some one out there can explain, in simple terms, how the seed is produced for sale in seed packets.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,420

They'll be F1 hybrids - the product of the cross-pollination of two different parent varieties.  This is why they are so expensive - the cross has to be reproduced afresh each season. 

More info here  https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=710 

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • Thanks for your  information.

I have been growing an all female , three plants, lots of flowers but thought I would still try to brush the pollen with my finger onto each flower .

Now thinking that this is a waste of time and perhaps the flowers do not have any pollen.

The fruit has been very slow to develop and a lot have not .

Perhaps I am expecting too much this early in the season, they are growing in two greenhouses , very high temp during the day, but even with every vent three in each and doors open perhaps too high for them.

Keeping the compost fairly damp with a tray of water beneath the leaves to increase humidity.

Any thoughts please on why so few are developing.

Removing side growths as  info from seed firms that laterals should be removed on female types as not needed.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,400

Its been cold. Thats the problem. All female  F1plants do not need pollinating.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.