Forum home The potting shed

How do you all keep track?!

Now into the second year of having a garden, and there's so much random gardening stuff floating around my brain! Going to have to whip out a Filofax and get everything on paper. Otherwise I just know I'll forget ideas, things I need to do etc. 

Do any of you guys use anything? Or do you just have much better capacity for remembering?! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

No and No

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313

Hi Claire, I have a notebook where I jot down stuff I need to remember, I found it the other day and it was like a trip down memory lane except I couldn't work out some of the stuff.........

I find repetition and focus to be most useful. I just keep doing the same things wrong until I remember to do it differently, never give up, that's my motto. My daughter has a spreadsheet, nuff said.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Bushman2Bushman2 Posts: 548

A garden diary is how i do it. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Garden diary?!?!?!? image

No wonder your appearance on the Gallery of Shame was so brief! image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867

Lots of photos over the course of the year.
    I have folders on my PC named 2014, 2015 etc within a Garden folder then you can see your progress over the years.

Then in the dark winter months you can look over the photos and see what worked and what didn't really work - and it's so nice on a cold winters day to look at summery photos.

Then I use my on-line diary to store reminders for the coming year to prune x in March or divide y in April or whatever

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

i'm just winging it, and making lots of mistakes, but i'm having fun image   Next year though, I really must remember to label all the seed trays....have some great healthy seedlings this year, and have no clue what they are

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069

I just see what comes up and plant something near it if there's a gap.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

A shelf in the garage come potting shed with neatly stacked note books, hand written accounts of what went in what flourished what went wrong. They have then been neglected for the last twenty years hence the nice condition. It started as an engineers reference section then a gardeners wing it method plus experience. We all do it.

Frank

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Keep it simple - shrubs: prune after flowering  Clematis- all the one type- prune end of Feb. herbaceous -  dead head, cut back late autumn/early spring.

SW Scotland
  • Trial and error here - plant what I Iike, where I like (within reason) and hope for the best. There is some fantastic advice on here and I religiously watch Gardeners World & read whatever I can lay my hands on. It's fun, hard work and good for the soul.