stargazer lillies question

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 950

Hi

is it best to plant stargazer Lillies is in a pot or in the ground? I have eight bulbs And they are quite big...i do have two big pots and was thinking of four bulbs in each. But then again i thought ground.. i had some tiger lilies which multiplied like crazy in a pot. Will stargazer do same. 

thankyou

Last edited: 31 May 2016 19:48:52

• Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342

I have stargazers in pots and borders, they perform about the same but I'm a bit lily mad and make sure the pots stay watered and hunt for lily beetles everyday. You will get babies from the bulbs I've had lots. not sure about the timing of planting though, I've always planted in Autumn or early spring. At the minute mine are already nearly 60 cm tall with flower buds. You may only get foliage and not get flowers this year due to time of planting but if that's the case next year they'll be stunning.

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 950

Thankyou Sophie17 and Mike. Both of you have such good advice. Apologies for all the typos in my post. I find it difficult to type properly on a tablet.

Sophie - yes it pprobably is a bit late? I bought these for £1.50 in the cheap shop! Maybe they were selling it off as it is end of season? I thought for that price why not just try it and see if they grow.

Mike - my soil is very neutral and clay..roses do very well there. We've never tried lillies in the ground though. Either way - could I mix in some ericaceous compost? Would this help? When you say site the bulb towards the base of the container, do you mean so that it doesn't have much below it? Will this be okay for the roots. How will it have space to grow roots? Don't fill up the container with compost? thanks in advance.