Forum home Plants

Rhodohypoxis

Does anyone have this plant - I bought it at the NCCPG sale this morning. They had red, pink or white - is really pretty, but I think it may spread quite easily.image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,705

Hi GD. I've tried on several occasions to grow these and failed miserably. I hope that you have got the touch to succeed image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

I want milloides claret as it looks lovely, but aware it needs very well drained soil and may not be the best fit.

One day i'll try it anyway and hope it does spread :-)

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

I hope so too Ladybird - the stall had over 100 on it - all potted up and very presentable. The RHS book tells me that they need a sandy soil which we don't have - so I will add some grit to the hole before planting and hope for the best - it is such a dainty little plant, I do hope it takes to it's new home. I will let you know how it grows. I suppose you could try growing it in a pot where you have control of what medium you use to plant it in.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,297

Mice adore them. We lost all ours to rodents a few years back. They also need to be very dry over winter or they rot.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,705

Ha ha GD. I had them in pots in my greenhouse as I didn't think they would be happy in my garden. Carefully potted on and nurtured and they just died on me. Maybe it was those pesky meeces image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

Best kept in a pot as shouldn't be rained on between late Oct and April. Perfectly hardy though I just stick the whole pot under the patio table out of the rain for the winter and it comes through fine. It doesn't need watering ever, unless it hasn't rained for 6+ weeks and the leaves turn yellow. 

Goodness, there is a lot of work to be done to keep this Rhodohypoxis alive - I feel depressed just reading about it - never mind caring for it - however I will do my best - it only cost £1.50 - but that isn't the point - fingers and toes crossed that it doesn't get swamped, eaten by rodents, die through being in the wrong soil etc. etc.......!!! That's the fun of gardening - you never know what will survive the winter and what will drive you mad because it seeds in all the wrong places.

• Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

Guernsey Donkey, that's what I thought too but really a pot you never have to water is as easy as it gets, I'm going to get some more image

Let us know which colour you choose Flowerlover3 - there was red, pink & white today - I wish I had got one of each now, but perhaps next year they will have the same stall again. I am going to lavish it with the greatest of care.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831

I bought a related plant last year, Rhodoxis Hebron Farm Cerise. I put plenty of grit in the hole and planted it just proud of the surface to encourage drainage. It has survived winter and is looking lovely. Now I want more!