Forum home Plants

Have I been stupid?

I bought this on impulse today, and planted it up in a sunny and sheltered location, as per the bumpf on the label. 

But, now I look at it online, it's saying it's half hardy. 

Have I done a dumb thing? Will the frost kill it off next winter? I really wish it would point out on the labels when things aren't fully hardy, for idiots like me!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,280

Hi geum. Don't worry. Enjoy the plant through the summer and then pot it up and move it indoors before the frosts arrive.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks Ladybird4 image

I'm really rubbish with keeping things alive in pots, hence hoping to buy things that can live outdoors all year round. I don't have places in the house for potted plants, so I guess it will have to live in the garage overnight when it's frosty...

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,038

I've had half-hardy salvias in my garden for several years.
    The best plan is to take cuttings just in case, but mine have been ok for the last 2-3 yrs in the ground. I give them a good mulch late autumn and keep an eye out for slugs in spring as the tasty little shoots appear.

Just had a look at Ember's Wish - what a cracker! hope you can keep it going

Last edited: 30 May 2016 18:30:36

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BenDoverBenDover Posts: 426

You might be lucky if we have another mild winter.  Ironically, I've lost fully hardy plants in the last mild winter.  Just never know.

• Thanks everyone! Will try not to murder it....

would fleece help if we had a hard frost?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,280

Fleece will definitely help geum and you could also cover the top with several layers of newspaper making sure to remove it when it is daylight.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks both!

• jabsyjabsy Posts: 53

I received one of these in form of a plug plant a while ago, and I'm sure it said it was hardy! damn. Guess i better keep it in the greenhouse this year and hope for the best next year when it's grown a lot more