Increasing salvia caradonna numbers

I've got a number of salvia caradonna but want it as my staple plant throughout the garden.

I have looked online, and there seems to be a variety of techniques with different authors claiming theirs is 'the best way'.

Taking stem tip cuttings in spring (now), semi ripe in late summer/early autumn or division in early spring seem to be the options.

While I'm sure all would be OK, what are your thoughts on the most efficient/effective method for me to get large numbers?

I don't have a greenhouse, just a cold frame and a garage with a south facing window that's frost free in the winter.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,998

Hi Andy. I would wait now until the autumn when you will have more material to take cuttings from. You can then divide in spring if the clump is big enough.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Andy they all work equally as well. Just keep them misted and they'll take quite readily. Yes they'll flop but a bit of patience and you'll have new plants in no time. A warm windowsill is fine.

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

Thanks for the comments - I'll give it a bash then in Autumn and see how I go :-).