Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dead trolley bargain hunt

I have bought a number of plants from our local garden centre.  They have an area they move plants to once they are past their best i.e. finished flowering, some great bargains to be had there, although nothing to quite match the reductions you've got.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I can vouch for this KT53. I've done some of my best bargain hunting in casualty corner! Having said that I managed to get three FREE plants at my tiny little local GC. At least two of them are still alive but I can't remember what the third one was. image

£2 clematis from b& q. OH laughed and said I'd been robbed as it was dead .

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi to all dead trollys   home base  and aldi are good places for  plants  we got 2 clematis last year they have came again this   purple   good plants now 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

They look good aymimage all repairable

I was at b&q yesterday, have had some good hauls off them before but was disappointed with the current dead plant shelf offerings.

A half price, top heavy, unnamed hydrangea was £6! I don't think they are quite in the spirit of what the dead plant shelf really is. I bet all the good, rescueable stuff went in the bin.image

Wearside, England.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,477

Someone at our local homebase looks after the plants really well  - most provokingimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012
    aym280 says:

KT53: Do go to DIY chains. To buy reduced stuff in GC is like buying reduced stuff in Harrods. I can appreciate why prices at GC are higher.See original post

It depends on which GC you go to.  I've got plants at 80% reductions and the original prices were no higher than Homebase or B&Q.  Plus the plants are still being looked after, they just want to move them out rather than bin them.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

I am sure you are saving a lot of plants from certain death Aym!  I too have on occasion got some bargains from B&Q but I have also got some that I thought were bargains but turned out not to be as they weren't much good.  The nearest B&Q to me is 18 miles away.....so it is counterproductive to make a special trip there on the off chance of something special.  

My local nursery is very good though....cheaper than the average GC with a vast stock, some unusual stuff. They look after their plants well and when they get a bit pot bound or are past their best they get reduced too so I too keep a look out and always check out the sale area behind the barn.  I once bought a 4' bay laurel for about £3 (which is now about 7' high), a pot bound pyracantha for about £2 and a few weeks ago bought some lovely dianthus for £1 each.  All they needed was a trim and now they are flowering and full of buds again. 

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I have the luxury of being recently retired and having a car sat there just begging to be driven. image

• iceice Posts: 332

Wow that's a amazing bargain ,love hydrangeas soon tempted to drive to my local and see if they have similar offerings. Never looked at plants there

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Cracking bargain there aym. image  I can see some green so a bit of TLC and they should be fine.

Any idea what colours or is it a bit of a lucky dip?