New flower beds need filling

Hello There,

We have just finished creating some flower beds near th ewest side of our house (from old stone during the renovation).  The question now is what shall we put in them, see two photos showing them (covered over at mo). 

image   image

Things to consider are:

1. They are near where we sometime eat outside.

2. They get sun from about noon through to evening (west facing wall of house)

3. Relatively low maintence once established I suppose.

4. On the corner is a camillia bush I have had to work around (while I'm here I want to cut it back since growing a bit big - is this pertinent to do - any advice on it welcome).

Any thoughts very welcome (plus should I be thinking of anything else)

Many thanks

Malcolm

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,564

Hi Malcolm. It depends what sort of a 'look' you prefer. You could create a cottage garden effect there which would fit in with the camellia. The camellia can be cut back after it has flowered to keep it within the bounds you wish.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • MalcBMalcB Posts: 6

Just an update:

Cottage garden is an option, its made us realise that the house was built 1896, so what plants may have been popular around then even???? (will need to take deep breath and discuss cutting back camillia with my wife).

Thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,564

Campanulas, delphiniums, cosmos, lupins, michaelmas daisies, evening primrose, scabious, pinks, nigella, poppies, chrysanthemums, lots to choose from both perennial and annual. Looking at the camellia it does not need a severe chop. My next door neighbour keeps his looking like a lollipop shape - about 7-8 feet high and they flower beautifully every year.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WateryWatery Posts: 388

I think it would look lovely as a herb bed.   You could have ornamental and edible herbs.  Then you would get the fragrance when using it.   Lots of herbs stay relatively evergreen outside.