Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee Hive

Bee Hive in ceiling garden shed, pic attached 

Any advice image

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

It looks like a wasps nest.

• Thankyou, any advice?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,280

Hi there. That is a hornet nest. Copy and paste the link below to find out how to deal with it

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Hornets

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243

JUST A WORD IN SUPPORT OF HORNETS AND WASPS.

FIRSTLY, THEY ARE UNLIKELY TO ATTACK YOU UNLESS YOU ACT IN WHAT THEY INTERPRET AS AN AGGRESSIVE WAY TOWARDS THEM. WE HAVE HAD WASP NESTS IN BOTH OUR GARDEN SHED AND OUR LOG STORE SHED FOR YEARS AND HAVE NEVER BEEN SO MUCH AS FLOWN PAST IN ALL THAT TIME, DESPITE HAVING CRASHED AND CLATTERED ABOUT IN SEARCH OF TOOLS AND LOGS.

SECONDLY, BOTH WASPS AND HORNETS ARE CARNIVORES. THEY PREDATE CATERPILLARS AND OTHER SO CALLED GARDEN PESTS. SAVE YOURSELF THE COST OF BUYING PESTICIDES AND LET NATURE DO THE WORK FOR YOU.

KILLING THEM IS RIDICULOUS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,280

I AGREE WITH PANSYFACE AND I WOULD NEVER KILL EITHER WASPS OR HORNETS AS THEY ARE THE GARDENER'S FRIENDS. I JUST HAVE TO BE A LITTLE CAREFUL AS I SUFFER FROM ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK IF A WASP STINGS ME. LEAVE THEM ALONE AND THEY WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks so much everyone 

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802

I still wouldn't want a nest in my shed. That one is still very small, and if you knock it out with a stick or a broom, the wasps will go elsewhere. It's true that early in the season they are carnivores, but later on they develop a taste for sugar, and that's when they become a bit of a nuisance and a danger, as they attack garden fruits on the bush or on the ground, and also pester anyone with sweet food or drinks in the garden.