Forum home The potting shed

Chelsea photos 2016

LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,345

I know a few of us have photos of our experiences at Chelsea this year - we'd love to share!

Here are a few of mine to start the ball rolling:

from Cleve West's M&G garden - gorgeous naturalistic planting;

Andy Sturgeon's Telegraph garden.  Rusty orange predominates (Isoplexis, in lower photo - sadly not hardy);

Garden for Yorkshire, Matthew Wilson.  I liked the "gargoyle" on the gatepost, and the light shining through the stained glass was fab.

More later...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Super pictures Liri.  More SOON pleaseimage.  From the TV I loved Cleve's garden best but I'm really pleased that Matthew Wilson got the Peoples' Choice award.  The garden certainly deserved better than silver.

It was certainly worth beating the crowds so that you could see and photo the gardens without a horde of people in front of youimage

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,345

Thanks Lesley!

I'll post more photos after I've fed OH - he's going to a cricket match...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Next batch:

firstly from the "Forever Freefolk" (Brewer Dolphin) garden (Rosy Hardy) - not altogether sold on the design, but the planting was gorgeous & covered in bees.

and next, the Husqvarna garden (Charlie Albone).  I liked the strong symmetrical design and soft planting, with lots of Lysimachia 'Beaujolais', used a lot this year:

and finally for this group, Jekka McVicar's "Modern Apothecary" which was delightful, and much more achievable than a lot of the large show gardens.

More later...

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Liri, you have made an excellent job of showing the plant combinationsimageSome of them are superbimage

SW Scotland

I was really impressed by the plant combinations, Joyce - I'll post more later, but the weeds are calling!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

My photographic skills are non-existent, but here are a few of my snaps

a bit of the hartley botanicplanting

Chris Beardshaws

jo thompsons ....so nce to see a lawn !

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

Still my favourite...the LG garden

poppies werequite a sight

the sarcophagus one ....gets a bit lost in translationimage

And finally Cleve's......should have been Best in Showimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,546

Agree Chicky.

Fantastic photos all. I am now even more sad I did not get there this year.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

What I like about Cleve's garden is that the planting in areas of it are easily transferable to one's own garden.image

SW Scotland
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Agree too chicky. I often wonder why people can't see the importance of good structure in a garden. Mr Lutyens was the expert on that.  image

I also wonder why people can't seem to understand the concept of a 'show'. The skill of designers to show what can be created.  Their designs won't all transfer to a suburban semi - but that's the point. We can take bits and we can dream of what we might have if money was no object. 

As I've said before, that's what shows of any kind are like. They're aspirational. Aiming for perfection.  I've found some of the other threads about Chelsea quite negative so I haven't commented. We all like or dislike bits but it's basically a shop window of talent and we should be very proud of our designers. Anyone who has ever tried making a garden to fulfill a brief knows how hard it is.

Lovely photos from everyone. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....