Preventing birds eating strawberries

I have new strawberry plants (and am new to growing fruit) which have flowered and green fruits are appearing. What do you suggest I use to prevent birds eating the strawberries when they ripen? I have only 6 plants growing in one strawberry pot and a limited budget.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,095

Hi. A frame with netting over it should do the job

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • tigerburnietigerburnie Posts: 61

Try to keep the netting away from the fruit as Blackbirds will eat them through the mesh if they can reach them.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

We used to grow strawberries commercially, not in a big way but PYO.  My mother-in-law used to make a cardboard hovering Kestrel, with wings spread which she put on a long stick over the strawberries.  She swore it worked......but slugs; they were the real problem.

• Please think too that birds can become ensnared in netting, with disastrous (for them) consequences. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,980

A good rigid cage of something like chicken wire is probably better than netting for the reason David gives. It doesn't have to be fancy - a few canes and wire or tie securely on to those. image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,703

And wire netting will also work against grey squirrels (if you have them) who simply chew through standard bird netting.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you all very much. Lots of tips and, as I do not want to cause harm to any wildlife, I will probable try chicken wire.