Forum home Fruit & veg

Crazy Carrots

sowed my carrot seeds on 8th May. Only 4 or 5 have germinated. I know they take a long time, but I expected better results than this. Do you think I should start again? I have plenty of sand mixed into the bed, so not sure why the poor germination rate. Any advice would be welcome!! 

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Sometimes its because they are sown too deep;y.. A lot of us sow in a section of guttering with only an inch or so of compost and a fine sprinkle to cover....

I sowed mine back on october and they look pretty good..Wait a while...You may be lucky..

• tigerburnietigerburnie Posts: 61

I too have had some patchy germination and I'm growing mine under plastic.

Still cannot post any pictures, as I shoot in raw, even the jpegs my camera produces are too large for this site, joys of having a professional camera.

Last edited: 28 May 2016 10:19:54

• jeninkentjeninkent Posts: 77

@tigerburnie

Why bother with a professional camera if you don't even know how to prepare images for display on websites?

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

That was not very nice, maybe its the only camera they have...

I don't post pics either, because I cannot see to do it..Hard enough for me to use a mobile even....Not everyine is a pc expert, media etc... But they still take the trouble to post...

Last edited: 29 May 2016 22:30:36

jeninkent says:

@tigerburnie

Why bother with a professional camera if you don't even know how to prepare images for display on websites?

See original post

Most websites allow you to embed or copy and paste reduced images whilst maintaining image quality, the way this site functions doesn't allow you to do that due to the high definition of my pictures. It's no loss to me and I'm more than happy with my images as they are thanks.