Turtle Doves

The last couple of days there has been a pair of turtle doves coming to my garden. I must admit I had to look these up - before yesterday I didn't even know whether they were a real bird or just something in the bible and romantic poems!

According to the RSPB they're on the red list so I'm really thrilled that I have some. Hoping that they'll get close enough for me to take some photos soon.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i love them, i've had some for quite a few years, whether they are the same two i don't know but they are a constant, they are ground feeders so if you want to encourage them into the garden to take a photo throw some seed on the ground, mine quite often visit the bird bath although i don't feed them as my dog tries to catch them, he already had one of the babies that fell out of the nest 2 yrs ago, i love the sound they make whoohoo woo whoohoo woo. image

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 874

Managed a photo but it isn't very good because they're right at the bottom of the garden.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,410

Lucky lucky you image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 732

I've never seen real Turtle Doves either.  They look absolutely lovely.  I second Dovefromabove - lucky you Singing Gardener.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 874

Thanks for the seed advice sanjy67. They've been feeding under my hanging feeders so I'll put some seed on the ground as well.

They certainly were doing their bit to make sure that they get off the red list this afternoon image. OH said that was why turtle doves have their reputation but I thought it was for more romantic reasons!