New Strawberries

month ago I planted out my strawberry plants and so far they are doing well. They have just started flowering which is great, but then I saw somewhere that it is best to pinch the flowers out in the first year!! Is this true and why?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,155

Hi again gallerchick1. This is normal procedure for some plants as it allows the plant to 'bulk up' before being allowed to produce fruit. However, I wouldn't worry too much. Leave the flowers and enjoy the fruit image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Lol thank ladybird4 image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I only use a strawberry plant for three years; after that they are replaced as they are meant to start loosing productivity. I'd leave the flowers and eagerly await the first fruit!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,720

I also ignore the perceived wisdom and let mine fruit in their first year.  The only time I'd remove flowers in the first year is if they were small and weak plants but I stopped buying from suppliers who send small sized strawberry plants so don't have that problem now.  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 732

I've never grow strawberries really and the 'perceived wisdom' in books has put me off putting them in the garden - as well as really not having enough space.  However, last year I bought a couple of plants from a well-known DIY store discount shelf and I put them in a hanging basket.  I never 'hung' the basket and left it in the 'tools' corner.

I came across both plants last week and found that they had grown so I've potted them in terracotta pots and both have produced flowers since last week.  I'm not sure what to do with them now.  I like the foliage so I'm not desperate for 'good' fruit - but as they look so well in this their second year I'd thought I'd leave them to do their own thing.

Does the appearance of flowers herald fruit starting to grow sometime soon?  I gave them a liquid feed last week as well - the compost is Innes 3 mixed with some farmyard manure.  Not sure if that was a good idea either but it was what I had left.

• Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

flowers followed by fruit

my flowers finished a couple of weeks ago and now i have many fat baby strawberries

i need to cut some of the runners off this weekend and then take another picture to show my patch

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,720

They'll love that as a growing medium yarrow2 and are looking very healthy.  They now need as much sun as possible and regular watering.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.