Almond tree

We planted 5 trees two years ago - a couple of flowering cherries, two apple & one almond in our driveway - all treated the same but as these pictures show, something has caused these odd looking deformities on the leaves of the almond tree. The tree itself looks healthy enough and there are some new little almonds forming too.  Can anyone identify why some of the leaves have this red growth on them please?imageimageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,916

I think they are caused by almond gall midge.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I think it's peach leaf curl.  Google it for causes and treatments.

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,588

I googled both of your suggestions & have decided that it is peach leaf curl from the photos and description given - it seems that there is no quick way to eliminate this problem but I will be removing the leaves tomorrow morning.  Thanks for your help. I must admit to being quite shocked to find the problem - the affected leaves look awful whilst the rest of the tree seems to be so healthy.

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,588

I have now disposed of the affected leaves but will have to keep a careful check on the rest of the leaves. The almonds have already formed so I hope they won't be affected as they have a long way to go before they are ripe enough to pick. Apparently the problem is caused by a fungus but I may have caught the problem before it causes too much damage to the tree - fingers crossed.