Forum home Plants

Calla lillies

CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

I planted the rhizome things about 6 weeks ago, with a little bit of each rhizome showing through the soil/compost.  They're in a border.  Sunny place and good drainage.  Nothing showing yet.   Do you think they will take longer to grow or should I get something else in quickly.  It's the first border everyone comes to in our front garden so I want it to be good for the summer.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170

Mine are only just showing growth. They are in the greenhouse in a pot. A bit of warmth would get them going a bit faster.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Mine are about an inch high and haven't changed much this week. Once the sun comes out I'm hoping they'll go mad!

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Plant pauper are yours outside or in?  When did you plant them?  Fidgetbones, it sounds like there is hope for mine if yours are in the greenhouse and have they have just got going.  

Mine are still in the pots from last year. They have been under the greenhouse bench all winter. Now they are moving I will increase the water, but still keeping them warm. I won't bring them out until they are well advanced.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Mine are the hardy aethiopica type and I planted them as pips last summer. They've been outside in pots ever since and I only lost three or four. 

I have had that type in the boggy area at the edge of the pond. I found that if I left them in over winter, with a mulch, they were slow to start in the spring. I started lifting them, and just plunging the pot for the summer.

Ooo top tip. I was just gonna bung them in and leave them to get on with it. Would they be ok next to candelabra primula? I'm trying to fill up spaces around the pond because I've no idea what to do with it. My plan is to plant all my damp/boggy stuff and run away. image

I find the boggy area is nigh on impossible to weed. Every now and then, i have dug the lot out and started again. Candelabra primulas look lovely. Interestingly, a couple of years ago, I sowed hat are supposed to be Primula florindae. They have started to flower this last week. They look more like a candelabra pulverulenta  type and are dusky rose pink instead of yellow.

I ordered a selection of eight last year from a local breeder (is that the word?) and they stayed very small but I think that's because the bed I had them in was like dust bowl. I put them back in pots to overwinter and they are looking much better. The only one with buds so far is a cowslip that I weeded off the GC floor!!! Typical. I didn't steal it...the man let me take it! image Hopefully this year they'll thrive in the damp.