Forum home The potting shed

gallery of shame

• B3B3 Posts: 19,361

We have visitors in our garden any the odd brave nesting pairs of the usual suspects for a London garden. I love to see them, but there are so many cats that I don't really like to encourage them.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I had wrens last year but the fledglings all died for no apparent reason. I was gutted. They were miniscule. Here's one with a daisy for scale.

How sad.

We Had some nesting in the ivy wall that borders the patio one year. We had to play the game that we didn't know the nest was there. At dusk, the wren would make a racket as only they can from a short distance. This meant we had to go inside for ten minutes so that she could sneak unseen into her 'secret' nest.

I couldn't go near the bandstand or she went daft. I had to throw the daisy and run away image I found another wee dead one near the entrance to the nest and that one just sat there all day and died in the early evening. I couldn't believe it.

sounds like disease or poisoning.

One of those  things...just very hard to watch and the reason I didn't become a vet.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,138

This is a fun thread, apart from the poor dead baby wrens image

My messy bits.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,267

I like this thread, will have to take some pics of my own messy areas. But then who wants a garden set out with a slide rule? Nature is chaotic and long may it remain so. Old carpets etc = hiding places for amphibians, reptiles and small mammals image

Move over Tracey Emin! There is also evidence of recent wheelbarrow activity Buzzy. All is not lost. 

I'm look forward to seeing them , Fishy.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with habitats in my garden.

Yes Aym, we should see your lean-to. Step up to the post!