Forum home The potting shed

gallery of shame

• Ooh, I once fell of a horse into a bed of nettles, B3. In no hurry to repeat that experience! It was fine going in, getting out wasn't quite as fun...

• B3B3 Posts: 19,361

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

The second picture is all blurry due to rubbish camera phone/farawayness. In the top right corner there is a bit that looks, to the untrained eye, like sky, daylight, the light at the end of the tunnel even. . Oh no no no, that's a branch of some flowering affair or other and the start of the next bit! 

It is, in fact, a wildlife haven and they will not miss that one tiny patch of brambles.

The juniper on the right of the first pic is about 30 feet by 10 feet. If the wildlife wants a retreat it can go in there! Most of it has already and we had wren fledglings on the bandstand last year. I was beside myself!!! Wrens are my favourite.

Maybe you could break it up a little, pour soil into the cracks and you would have your own Burren - maybe.

I was in The Burren a few years ago and it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen! It's like the moon only better! Miles upon miles of little patches marked out with stone walls and a surface only God could dream up. It speaks volumes to not only the natural history but to the political history of the area.

I've started on "the next bit" That area of strimming is about 20mx20m and it took me two tanks of petrol, 1/4 spool of string and my last nerve!

Runnybeak you're not funny!

On the plus side, I found a rhododendron I didn't know I had!!! image

Also....it looks really flat in those pics. It's up and down like the Waves of Tory!!!! 

Still not funny RB!!!

Runnybeak, I believe I missed your contributions to the gallery. Could you post them againimage

PP, being a townie, I may be mistaken, but I understand that goats are quite efficient and easier on the petrol but perhaps not the string.

I have been offered sheep but I'd worry that they'd break a leg. I nearly did. Part of the problem is I don't know """what lies beneath""" so I'm finding rotten sleepers, tree stumps, huge stones... It is so boggy and buttercuppy as well. I'm at a loss! image

I've just noticed, that purple berberis in pic two is the one at the end of the stinkie bank! Another couple of days and I'll be back to the parasol holder!!! Progress!

Last edited: 27 May 2016 18:01:22