Forum home Plants

Can anyone identify this plant?

lisblack19lisblack19 Posts: 2

Hello, lovely internet people :)

We just moved into a new house and this plant is everywhere. Tried digging it up a few weeks ago, but didn't get all the roots out (they're very strong and go quite deep). Anyone know what it is or how to get rid of  it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,555

Houttuynia cordata  I think, your description sounds right.

These invasive plants among desirable plants are a right b......r to get rid of. Leave a bit behind and off it goes again. Someone might have a method. 

• Sorry, I can't help on this. I'm new to the forum, and was trying to post a message, but somehow got to "reply" to yours. What was I supposed to do to send my question? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,446

It is a plant called Houttuynia and is an absolute thug in the garden. You have to keep digging and digging and it still turns up. It does have pretty white flowers and when crushed the leaves smell of bitter oranges. Some people hate the smell while others like it. Be prepared for all out warfare.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

keep guessing, if you're still here, click on the red 'new thread' button at the top of the page

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I was given it when my friend was clearing out and was well warned not to let it loose in my garden.

HeHe keep guessing...that's not your answer. image

Scroll to the top of the screen and you'll see a big pink square labelled START A NEW THREAD. Hit that and off you go. or if you're reading this scroll down a bit and you'll find it. 

• lisblack19lisblack19 Posts: 2

Thanks guys, wasn't expecting such fast replies.

sorry they're only an ID not an answer to the problem lis