Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hornwort

Does anyone know if it would be safe to put a bunch of hornwort into a wildlife pond which has been taken out of someone else's pond?

I had read someone saying to place in chlorinated tap water to kill of any unwanted bacteria before putting it in to your own pond?

If that is the case, would anyone know how long for?

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Chlorinated tap water won't kill bacteria. It will larger things like wee swimmers and things.You could try a mild solution of Milton sterilising fluid but it's not going to kill everything either as the challenge would be too great. The instructions are on the bottle. Read them carefully re concentration.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,246

HORNWORT IS A NATIVE PLANT. GOOD. THERE WILL BE MANY MORE THINGS ATTACHED TO A CLUMP OF IT THAN JUST BACTERIA. THERE WILL BE LEECHES, LEECH EGGS, BLOODWORMS AND VARIOUS BEETLE LARVAE AND CRUSTACEANS TOO. ALL NATURAL AND ALL GOOD.

IN A WILDLIFE POND YOU HAVE WILDLIFE. IT'S BEST NOT TO DIFFERENTIATE IN A BIASED, HUMAN, PHILOSOPHICAL AND ULTIMATELY FUTILE WAY BETWEEN GOOD AND BAD WILDLIFE. LET THEM BATTLE IT OUT AND DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • M99M99 Posts: 4

Thank you plant pauper and pansyface for your prompt replies.

I didn't feel anything would be too dire if I put it straight in the pond, but just wanted to double check from other experienced contributors who may have reasons to advise strongly against!