Forum home Plants

Small plants for crevices

TreadukTreaduk Posts: 42

Hi all,

I have a walled bed  the corner of the garden, which is in shade for most of the day. I'd like some advice on finding and planting plants in the small gaps between the bricks at the front (pic below).

The thing is, it appears this flower bed used to be a pond, so there's a barrier between the wall and the soil behind. As such, I'm dont think the roots of anything I plant in the crevice will be able to get through to the bed behind, so I guess i need something that can survive on little soil.

does anyone have any ideas? Or am I asking for the impossible?

thanks in advance!

• TreadukTreaduk Posts: 42

imageimage

Last edited: 24 May 2016 23:35:12

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,128

Very little soil and almost no water is asking a lot of any plant!

You already have ferns in the bed, and there are several small ferns that like growing in walls, such as Asplenium adiantum, A. scolopendrium and  Polypody. The problem for them is not the shade but the lack of moisture. Some small campanulas  also grow in walls and might tolerate some shade given enough moisture. Would it be possible to pierce the membrane, if it is never going to be a pond again?

Sedums and sempervivums would cope with the dryness but would prefer more sunshine to feel really at home. There are plenty of alpine plants that grow in cracks and crevices but they usually rely on having some kind of substrate formed of rock dust and plant remains and need water or snowmelt to sustain them. Most prefer sun but there are some that willl grow in shade and these are often those that like moister conditions. The drystone walls in my garden are happily colonised by a variety of plants (I even have a hazel growing out of one, I guess 'planted' by a mouse!) but they are all retaining walls with soil behind them and the stones are old and rough and beginning to degrade in places to give them a foothold.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,509

Aaaaah. I replied to your other post - without the picture - so you could look at that response too. What a lovely garden! If you push compost, gritty and not too enriched, into the planting holes it should give the little plants a start

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • TreadukTreaduk Posts: 42

Thanks both!

Definitely plenty of ideas there to look into. I'll concentrate on the holes large enough to add some compost and grit to, rather than wedging things into tiny gaps. ?

In answer to Buttercup's question regarding making a whole in the lining, it's a pretty heavy duty barrier there but I'll see what I can do!

and thanks Ladybird for the compliment! It's definitely getting there! Means a lot to get a compliment from one of the forum's wise ones ?